Career path for someone with a business degree

walkerstyles87

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hey everyone,

I am currently looking for some advice on what goals I should set for myself to help get my career where I want it to be. To give some background, I graduated with a degree in business administration and took a few computer science classes along the way. My background when it comes to computers is some basic knowledge of C++, Java, and of course some languages relevant to web development and this is all pretty much self taught. I am also very familiar with different hardware configurations and have built plenty of PC's and that really sums it up for my hands on experience. Currently, I really think that network administration would be a great field to work in because it really grabs my attention.

My current plans are to take the A+ exam which should hopefully be a breeze. I have read the latest edition of Mike Meyer's popular study guide and feel like I understand all of the information thoroughly. I would hope that getting the A+ would be enough to make getting into the field at an entry level realistic but I understand that it is competitive and that A+ certs are a dime-a-dozen now so obviously it doesn't put me ahead of the field. For the past month or so I have been reading books on Comptias network+ as well, taking my time to really try and apply the concepts and fully understand the material but at the moment that is my next goal, which I am hoping will for sure help me get my foot in the door somewhere. Shortly after, I feel that it would make sense to take the CCENT from Cisco but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. My main concern is my lack of hands on experience. Even if I did pass the Network+ exam with flying colors, it doesn't mean I know how to best apply it in a real life situation and I am just hoping that by getting the certifications, it will lead to a great job to really earn that hands on experience I so desperately need.

Any advice out there for someone really wanting to get into an entry level position with opportunity to grow, even if the hands on experience is lacking?

walkerstyles87

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Anyone? I was hoping that as reputable as Tom's Hardware is that the forums would offer some good advice or even somewhere else to go for this type of advice from someone in the field.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
If you want experience go to your local clerk of the court and explain to them you want experience and you will volunteer. Just about every county in the US is hurting for cash and will gladly use a body for network assistance. It's real hands on experience, decent equipment(hopefully) and would look good on any resume(volunteering for the county)