Overclocking my PC -- Is it worth it?

8ballslackz

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hey guys,

So I've been looking into OC'ing my 3570k, and it seems simple enough...I'm just wondering if it's worth it given my situation. This is my main PC, so it's primarily used for everyday stuff (browsing the internet, Skype, multimedia). I do a good amount of gaming as well, and I'm 95% satisfied with my performance. I get occasional FPS dips, but nothing painful.

I'm very energy-conscious, and I know that OC'ing sometimes means adjusting voltage (and therefore energy consumption). I guess what I'm asking is...is there a way to Overclock, but not jack up the energy bill much? And more than that...is it worth it given what I'm using this PC for?

8ballslackz

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
So by leaving voltage as stock, you effectively get better performance without jacking up power consumption?

Also will my CPU cooler be sufficient for any modest OC? I'd like to target 4.0 GHz, but if that isn't possible without upping voltage, I'm flexible.

ihog

Distinguished
There are people that have gotten higher OC's at stock than 4 GHz, but every chip is different, so you won't know until you try. And yes, it will be fine, especially if you don't raise your voltage. Just make sure you monitor your temps when stress testing.