Sign in with
Your question

No Power or Signal to Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse

Last response: in Motherboards
April 18, 2013 9:37:13 AM

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Several days ago, I was playing a game when my monitor kicked off (no signal) and my mouse and keyboard lights went out. I tried a hard reboot, but holding the power button down would not shut down the computer (has worked before) so i had to turn the master switch on the power supply off, started it back up, seemed to boot normally until the windows logo screen where it just hung, tried restarting again, computer turned on, fans cycled up but no power or signal to monitor, keyboard or mouse, same thing with the power button not working, restarting didn't help. unplugged everything externally, reseated ram and video card. Reseated power plugs internally, pulled cmos battery and put it back in. Still nothing, left it for a few hours and came back, started right up, no issues, it worked fine for 4 days, then again last night was playing a game (borderlands 2 if it matters) and the monitor, keyboard and mouse suddenly lost signal again, same thing with power button not working, got it to restart and boot into windows, but restarted itself, when it booted back up, went in and turned off auto restart on error, it restarted on me again two more times, no bsod's, then monitor, keyboard and mouse lost signal and power again, have not been able to successfully boot everything back up yet. Motherboard, cpu and ram all brand new as of a month ago, video card about 2.5 years old and power supply 4.5 years old. Any help is appreciated, computer specs below.

Cpu: AMD FX-8350 FX-Series Eight-Core Processor Edition, Black AM3 FD8350FRHKBOX

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Powersupply: Thermaltake 750 watt

Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 470
a b C Monitor
a c 559 V Motherboard
April 19, 2013 7:49:44 AM

Hi, I would firstly test a different power supply, if possible.
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2013 7:45:03 PM

The motherboard has an 8-pin 12v connector, make sure that you have connected both 4 pin connectors for that connection, sometimes manufacturers put a black plug over the second set of 4 pin connector making the user assume that only a single 4 pin connection is necessary.

The PSU is one of the best so I would not suspect it as being at fault.
http://www.techspot.com/review/5-thermaltake_toughpower...

The video card requires "pair of 6-pin PCI Express graphics power connectors", make sure that you have both connectors connected to the video card, you just can't use one. It proffers good reviews and is considered the best in the mid-range video category.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/evga_gtx_470_s...

The cpu is listed in the spec sheet so it can't be an issue
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM
The Corsair blue matches the voltage of the requirement so you can't fault them - only their spelling typo in the web address ie emory should be memory :) 
http://www.corsair.com/pressrelease/corsair-announces-a...

What about dust? So many problems and issues arise from dust invading the PC gizzards.
What's your CPU cooler?
Are you overclocking anything?
How much free space is on the primary hdd? You need at least 25% free space.
What is your OS?
Are the games being played compatible for your OS?
How long do you play? Do you switch between PC games constantly, what other apps are open during PC sessions?
If you play extreme PC games for more than a few hours then play a different game without reatarting the system that could impact somewhat on the virtual memory and ram, there has not been any chance to clear the memory of previous use.

Sometimes if you do programming then watch a movie then internet browse then play a PC game then go youtubing with media player in background then go to sleep mode then something else, the virtual memory gets rather encumbered, you need to restart occasionally or just shut down when the PC is not in use for more than an hour.

Borderlands 2 - PC system requirements.
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/20065-borderlands-2-pc-sy...

It's a standard type of game although it does seem rather more for an older OS, if your OS is Widow 8 x64, that could be an issue.

What internet browser do you use? If IE9 then that is your problem if the browser is initiated during gaming, close it if possible. I recently upgraded to IE 9 because TH does not support previous versions of IE and I couldn't use this site adequately without problems. However, IE9 does come with its own mixed bag of issue. You need to go into the Browser addons and disable just about everything except Adobe stuff and shockwave.
a b C Monitor
a c 131 V Motherboard
May 16, 2013 11:36:38 AM

Check your Motherboard and your PSU.
!