Next Gen Galaxy Note Could Shed Samsung's Plastic Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Moving from plastic to aluminum is an increase in build quality? Lets go from a durable plastic shell to a soft metal frame. Lets just throw out durability in favor of aesthetics.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

You do realize that Aluminum is one of the strongest metals around right? Though not in the top 10, it's much stronger than the plastic you find in phones.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I don't like aluminum phones very much. Aluminum reduces cellular signal, is not very shock absorbent, is slippery in the hand, easy to scratch/chip/scuff, and it even dents pretty easily.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Actually, carbon fiber, silk, and many other synthetic polymers have much greater tensile strength than aluminum. Even bamboo is lighter and stronger than Aluminum. There are plenty of other options out there to enhance the quality of the phones without giving them the metallic aesthetics.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
You do realize that Aluminum is one of the strongest metals around right? Though not in the top 10, it's much stronger than the plastic you find in phones.
Now that's just silly talk. Aluminum is nowhere NEAR being the "one of the strongest metals around". It can be used to produce strong structures, but only when there is a lot of it, it is used as an engineered extrusion, or it is cast or forged. A stamped phone cover, or even a machined unibody is much less durable than plastic, let alone steel, carbon fiber, or titanium. Aluminum will not bend and return to it's original shape the way plastic can. Aluminum cannot take take an impact with denting. Think of how easy it is to crush an aluminum can. The same structure molded out of ABS plastic would be much more resilient to being crushed and would even provide some springback. Think of an aluminum bodied Acura NSX that will dent if you breath on it wrong.

Without getting into expensive titanium alloys or carbon fiber, plastic is the most durable, lightweight material you use for an application such as a phone. Aluminum looks nice and feels like it is better quality (It costs more, so it should), But unless you baby your phone, you will end up with ugly scratches and dents.

G

My wife has dropped her SG3 so many time and no cracks. I rather deal with no cracks or a cheap replacement, then paying Apple $93 to replace the back of my wifes old iphone 4 fomr a 2 foot drop and brag that th phone is made out of alluminum.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
So Samsung finally caves into the demands of people who actually has no idea why flexible plastic is almost always better then metal on phones.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is just speculation at this point, based on some abandoned design for GS4. Even if they decide to replace plastic, they have way better choices than entirely metal. Some metal blend with ABS or kevlar or carbon fiber can be good.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Thats Samsung in a nutshell, someone is successful? Ok, copy them. Did it wit Apple, now with HTC. HTC One, and LG Nexus 4 are the best phones out there now.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the aluminium phones out there don't have replaceable battery. I hope that's not the case (pun not intended) for Note 3.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Carbon fiber, kevlar, aluminum?? Seriously guys Samsung would not be able to massively super produce smartphones with these materials like it does with cheap shiny plastics. Not to mention the increase cost to manufacture! It funny when the fanboys down play aluminum and relish hyperglaze plastics instead lol

Spencer Castillo

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
i have a galaxy s3 that was run over by a car, the display was cracked but the other parts are perfectly fine (cpu,battery even the micro sd and the sim card). i only replace the display and im still using it like new. Thanks to its durable shock absorbent plastic body

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I'll go with one of slomo4sho's suggestions. I would love a phone with a bamboo case - and talk about a unique aesthetic (I know - it's been done on USB keys, but I can't recall a phone using it). Have a bamboo back (removable, of course) with metal, Kevlar or carbon fiber sides, or possibly even some type of rubber for damage resistance.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I don't think they will move away from plastic. For 1 simple reason, profit margins. If they use a more expensive material for the case the build order price goes up but the price they are selling the phone for doesn't go up. Samsung does not want to lower their profit margins when they are dominating the android field already. HTC had to push the cost of their phone up in a desperate attempt to gain market share at the cost of their profit margin. Samsung is not in this position so I believe they will continue to maximize the profit margins until their reign as king of android phones is threatened.

Status
Not open for further replies.