Build me a $2000

adamsnathanial

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I want to build my own computer. I have done some research and am confident that I could assemble it once I get the parts. I am worried that the parts I purchase won't be compatable. So, tell me what parts I need. I will start by telling you what I want.
I want something to replace the old xbox,ps3,and bluy ray plyer. I want to be able to read cs,dvds, blue rays. My TV will act as my monitor.
I am looking for something that will be able to support a higher resolution when the newer tv's are released (Is this possible?)
This will be primarily a gaming rig so I want something that will slay any game out there. Max settings, you know the deal.
I want to work with Intel parts. I don't have much experience with AMD but I have a republic of gamers laptop and really like Intel.
I want something that I only have to worry about replacing the CPU and video card in the future, something that will hold up.
Please make sure all the parts are compatable and that you list everything I need. If you leave something out I will be too stupid to notice, meaning I will be dissapointed when its build time.
I have $2000 to work with, but can go up a couple hundred if it will make a considerable difference in performance.
Thanks!

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Coolio.

1) Would you dabble into SLI and/or CrossFire? This is having multiple GPUs working as one.
2) You have a 1080p TV, yes? Or do you have one of those luxurious 4K tvs?
3) Is portability an issue (like LAN parties or something?)?

adamsnathanial

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I prefer a single video card. It seems easier all the way around, especially when it comes to upgrading. Plus, since this is my first build, I want to keep things as simple as possible.
TV is 1080p but I can see myself upgrading to 4k, so I want a computer that can handle that (If that is even possible at this point in this price range)

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

That's why I was asking, because the GTX TITAN is ~$1000 and can fit into a $2000 build if you know where to search for deals :D The GTX TITAN is the strongest single GPU processor out there currently; however, it is meant for higher resolution gaming. So gaming with it at 1080p is basically like wasting your money. If 1080p is what you'll be gaming at, the either a GTX 680 or HD7970 would be your best bet. I'm working on a component list now which is why am asking these questions and trying to give some background info on parts :)

adamsnathanial

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Something like that sounds like it will hold up for quite awhile. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I probably am, but what about the issue of "bottlenecking." I say that word and I don't even completely know what it means. From my understanding it is when your CPU and video card arent evenly matched...so that would lead me to the question, amI going to have to purchase a $1000 CPU to keep up?

Otherwise, that sounds awesome! I would even spend a little extra to be able to put something like that into my PC.

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I assume you're asleep at the moment, but I still have questions you can answer when you get back :D I'll use this post for questions.

1) Do you already have an operating system you can use (from a previous build or a disc that came with another computer)?
2) Do you live within reasonable driving distance of a Micro Center? If so, that's awesome because they have the cheapest PC parts ever! :D They're reliable too, it's not like they're cheap because they're a scam. :)
3) How important are aesthetics to you? Do you want an all black case? "All" white (usually black and white with white as the dominant color)?
4) How do you feel about LEDs in your computer (usually fans have LEDs)? Personally, I think LEDs (especially those awful bright-blue ones) are the worst invention ever (for computers, otherwise they prove useful).
5) How safe do you feel with water cooling? Obviously no custom loops, but you can install closed loop water cooling for your CPU very easily :)

Final note: I have everything but the case selected; whenever you awaken to respond to all of my questions, I look forward to selecting the best case I can for you! :D I rarely get the opportunity to build a $2000 PC so this is fun for me (in a very, very nerdy way)! :D

adamsnathanial

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
You were correct. I was soundly asleep and dreaming of my new computer.

1. No operating system
2. I don't live within reasonable distance to anything. I live in Alaska...so yeah...
3. I like white, white is good. Full size tower preferably.
4. I don't mind Led's as long as it doesn't look like Santa decorated it with Christmas lights. Lights on the fan aren't a problem though.
5. I'm okay with water cooling. Seemed pretty easy to smear that paste on there and attach it.

I'm not up to speed on the latest processors but if you can bump that up to like a six core I7, I wouldn't mind spending extra.

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

If your main purpose is gaming, an i5-3570K is the best Intel CPU you can get :) I won't delve into this too much, but 6-core Intel CPUs are pointless. Intel CPUs excel at single-threaded operations, so paying overkill for one is pointless. If you want 8-cores of high performing (in multi-threaded operations) high power usage CPU, then I would recommend an FX-8350 from AMD.

1. Coolio, Win7 Pro it is!
2. Ah, alright, online purchases it is ;)
3. Full size towers? Oh snap! What a plethora of options I'm presented with here... :D
4. Alrighty.
5. Most coolers come with grease pre-installed from the factory :) As long as you don't put the stock Intel cooler on first, you don't have to clean that off your CPU :)

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Hey. Been pretty busy lately (April is a busy month for anniversaries and birthdays in my family; today is my birthday for instance! :D ), so I haven't really looked at PC parts for a bit. I'm looking now though, and will let you know what I come up with :)

adamsnathanial

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Actually i decided to just have one built by cyberpower that way I have a base to work from then I will work on upgrading over time. Here is what I ordered. Hopefully I didn't do too bad.

*BASE_PRICE: [+696]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: In-Win GRone Full Tower Gaming Case w/ Integrated Fan Controller, Front USB 3.0, & EZ-Swap HD Dock (Mega Gaming Sale: Free In-Win Rocket Mat Mouse Pad) [+63] (White Color)
CASUPGRADE: 12in Liquid Neon Thunder Pattern Light [+15] (Blue Color)
CD: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive [+41] (BLUE COLOR [+9])
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (White Color [+0])
ENGRAVING: Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) [+0] (Courier New)
ENGRAVING_MSG: COME AT ME BRO.
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLUE COLOR [+5])
FREEBIE_VC: Free Metro: Last Light Coupon [+0]
FREEBIE_VC2: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 64GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 240 MB/s Write [-15] (64GB x 2 (128GB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance [+64])
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD1: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard [+5]
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCie x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified) [-4]
MOUSE1: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge [+4]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: * 1,000 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro M 80 Plus Power Supply [+133]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TABLET: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+591] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None
_PRICE: (+1736)
_view_: {23D13EA0-E396-4911-AAE9-470B8AD7E79F}
_load_: 4/21/2013 11:46:18 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Coupon: SPRING0410 (5% Discount) $-86.80
SUBTOTAL $1,649.20
Sales Tax (N/A) $0.00
Shipping: UPS 2 Day $125.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------
GRAND TOTAL $1,774.20

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
That's great you just went with that, I am absolutely horribly sick (thanks for the illness for my birthday my little brother...sigh :p ) so I haven't really been able to do anything. Glad you got something to work with :)

ENGRAVING_MSG: COME AT ME BRO.
:lol:

64GB x 2 (128GB Capacity) Raid 0
Eh...hopefully one of your SSDs never dies, or you'll be very sorry. They should have just given you a single 120GB...odd that they went with RAID 0 64GBs...

HDD2: None
And they don't even give you a large capacity HDD? My, my these guys are something else! Well if you need the space, I'm sure you can buy some HDDs :D

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
VIDEO2: None
I hope to see that become...

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
...this! :D In the future after some upgrades of course. Unless GTX 700s are out by then or something.

Overall, decent build with room for upgrading. Sadly it's "prebuilt" which makes it cost a lot more (just take the parts you've chosen and insert them all on pcpartpicker.com and you can see), but that's ok because it still has room for great amounts of upgrades :D You could even move it all to another case if the InWIN is no good ;)

TRENDING THREADS