Choosing between two bare bones...which one is a better value?

I have two bare bone systems in mind:

1) MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) AMD Series Motherboard
AMD FX-6100 (6 core processor)
4 GB ram
Computer case with 450 Watt power supply
Optical Drive
This one is going for $209.99 after rebate. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7973595&CatId=332

2) Biostar H61MHV Intel H61 Motherboard
Intel Core i3-3220 (2 core processor)
4 GB ram
Computer case with 500 Watt power supply
1 TB Toshiba HDD (7200 rpm)
This one is going for $319.99 after rebate. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7977283&CatId=333

My question is which package is better? Seeing as there is a difference of $110, will that justify going for the Fx-6100 over the i3-3220?
5 answers Last reply
More about choosing bare bones
  1. vote #2
    already has 1TB hdd and ivy bridge i3
    amd build is old fx, unless it is fx 6300 it wont get my like
  2. vote #2 as well. Its fine if you do not plan to add a GPU. A PSU that comes with a case is VERY low quality and should be replaced immediately if you are going to use a GPU which will actually use some power.
  3. In all honesty, neither. Both of those builds include crap power supplies and only one stick of RAM when you need two for a dual channel rig. If I had to choose - #2 but really I wouldn't go with either.
  4. The FX 6100 Advantages

The FX-6100 performs 19% faster in multi-threaded tasks. In some applications, it is up to 47% faster.
    The processor is unlocked. To get more performance from the microprocessor, it can be effortlessly overclocked.
    The official price of the FX-6100 CPU is much lower than the price of the i3-2120 processor.

Intel Core i3-3220 advantages

In single-threaded applications, this CPU has 68% better performance.
    The CPU is 11% faster when running memory-intensive tasks.
    Graphics performance of the microprocessor is higher.
    Power consumption of the processor is lower.
    The CPU has 7% better price/performance ratio than the FX-6100 microprocessor

General benchmarks for both, from what I can gather.
  5. Neither unless you are only intending on using Office applications or simple internet browsing.
    Great for Vista or XP but not so good for Windows 7 nor Windows 8.
    Neither are good enough for PC gaming, unless you intend on playing those PC games from 2003.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Your Own AMD Intel Systems