Mohammed Hamed

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
256GB SSD
+ 8GB RAM 1600Mhz

or

750GB HDD 7200 rpm + 32GB mSSD acceleration cache
+16GB RAM 1600Mhz

I gonna buy a new laptop, and this is so confusing, those 2 models are have the same specs except the drive and the ram, and the same price.

if I bought the first one
I can install other hard drive beside the SSD as secondary drive (the laptop got 2 bay), and I have an external drive already
BUT I won't upgrade the 8GB to 16GB, as it would be meaningless and expensive!

if I bought the second
I'll regret buying a noisy and slow mechanical drive, with that useless cache and I don't like the way it works.
but I'll have 16GB of RAM which is cool!

SSD or 16GB RAM might be the question...

Having only the HDD will be the cheapest option, but also the slowest.

The SSD drive will give you the best read / write performance (faster launches and shutdowns), but low capacity.

Having both a HDD and a small SSD cache drive gives you the largest capacity and a middle ground performance.

RAM does not make much difference unless you work with very large graphic files or databases.

I recently configured a ThinkPad T530 with only a 500GB HDD. My plan is the install a mSATA SSD; either 128GB or 256GB later on. The OS will be installed on the mSATA SSD and the HDD will be only used for storage. It seems whatever laptop you plan on buying will also have a mSATA slot for you to install a mSATA SSD at a later point in time. A small SSD cache typically means there is a mSATA slot.

If I were in your situation, I would simply get the 750GB HDD and either 8GB or 16GB of RAM for now. As stated 16GB is only worth it if you are going to be working with very large files.

At a later point in time you can then install a mSATA SSD. Max capacity as of now is only 256GB.

Pretty nice.

Unfortunately, I have to return my ThinkPad T530. It was configured with a 1600x900 resolution screen instead of the 1920x1080 resolution screen which I selected. It also came with a nVidia NVS 5400 which I did not select.

I think I will wait for the next gen ThinkPad T series that will have the Haswell CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.