GTX 660ti vs Radeon HD 7870

OnyxGunslinger

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hey guys, I have once again turned to you, the awesome people of tomshardware to give me some input on this issue I have; GTX 660ti vs Radeon HD 7870.

In the past I have always used nvidia cards but for this next upgrade I am having a lot of trouble deciding who to go with. Whichever card I get it will be mostly used for gaming/recording with some video editing on the side. Any idea which would be best to suit my needs?

Also, would a 3GB card be worth the extra cash or should I just stick to 2GB?

Thanks for the help guys!

if you only play at 1080p then 2gb should be plenty. if you plan to hold the cards more than 3 years maybe around that time having 3gb might help (that is if many games will be able to utilize more than 2gb at 1080p even without AA being use).

you mention recording is it game recording? if so stronger cpu are more important if you want to do recording without drop in in game frame rates. as for editing stuff it depends on the software you're going to use. if it does not take advantage of hardware acceleration stuff (using CUDA or OpenCL) then any gpu will do.....in theory

OnyxGunslinger

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah it was in-game recording. I don't really do it that often though and I'll be picking up a new processor in the near future.

So for straight up gaming, which would you recommend?

in general 660Ti sits between 7950 and 7870. but often many reviewer sites comparing 7950 and 660Ti. in most cases 7950 come put at top but in some games 660Ti able to perform just as good as 7950.