Sign in with
Your question

Blue screen - hardware error?

Last response: in Components
April 18, 2013 7:38:46 PM

I'm having trouble locating a problem with my PC. It has ran perfectly fine for 1.5 years with no errors. I didn't change anything for it to cause the error. I get a blue screen after my computer idles for around 20 minutes. Usually when I'm using it, it wont occur. The blue screen flashes for a split second (too quick to retrieve the error code), then goes to a 'reboot and select proper boot device'.

-I have the proper boot order set in my BIOS.
-I also ran a power cycle on my SSD per Crucial's instructions.
-I ran in safe mode - the error still occurs (leading me to believe the problem is with my hardware)
-I reformatted Windows just to be sure.
-I ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool - no problem found.
-Downloaded Western Digital LifeGuard to check the hard drives - both passed
-Idle temp is around 50C, with a stress test capping at 65C - a bit high, but I didn't think it was high enough to cause it to blue screen?

I'm pulling my hair out at this point, any more ideas?
April 18, 2013 8:06:14 PM

The Event Viewer should contain the error code that caused the BSOD.
April 18, 2013 8:17:17 PM

Event ID 41 - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Related resources
April 18, 2013 8:26:50 PM

You get Event ID 41 and no detailed info? Does the system go into standby after 20 minutes?
April 18, 2013 9:03:45 PM

GhislainG said:
You get Event ID 41 and no detailed info? Does the system go into standby after 20 minutes?

Here are the details.

EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

I found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504#method3

Scenario 3 sounds most similar. It gave me a few things to try, and seeing if any of them fix the problem one by one.
-I'm starting with reverting my overclock back to default.
-If that doesn't work, I'm going to try and split my plug ins from one outlet to two.

The other 3 I already ruled out, so if neither of these fix the problem I'm going to try swapping out or testing the power supply.

Thank you for your help by the way, I completely forgot about the Event Viewer.

April 19, 2013 5:29:26 AM

Reverting the overclock is a good start. If the PC is connected to an Ethernet switch, you could disconnect it and leave it on overnight to see if it still crashes.
April 19, 2013 2:16:51 PM

GhislainG said:
Reverting the overclock is a good start. If the PC is connected to an Ethernet switch, you could disconnect it and leave it on overnight to see if it still crashes.

Reverting the clock speed didn't work. Since I'm now thinking it's a power supply issue, the next step is to see if it passes or fails the paperclip test as per Corsair's instructions, then I'm going to RMA it. Hopefully that solves the issue..
April 19, 2013 3:09:20 PM

Is it a quality PSU?
April 19, 2013 5:58:56 PM

GhislainG said:
Is it a quality PSU?

I thought so. Corsair TX750

April 19, 2013 6:15:01 PM

It's a good PSU, but even the best could fail. How about the motherboard? No bulging caps?
!