Looking to buy a power supply for my pc build ?

trixsta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Hi guys

I have a question that probably gets asked a lot but I need a precise answer ...
I'm looking for a PSU for my build but don't k ow what wattage I will need I think a 750watt corsair will do but maybe I'm wrong as my graphics card needs 500w alone which only leaves 250wats for the rest ..
I suppose you will need my build specs so here it is I haven't got some of these parts yet and some I do ..

Amd fx 8350 CPU
Asus sabertooth 990fx mobo
Powercolor 7870 must edition (Tahiti) gpu
Kingston hyperx beast 8gb 1866mhz ram
Fractal design define r4 window case
Corsair h80 water cooler (haven't got this yet not sure if to go with air or water yet)
Ocz agility sata3 6gb/s ssd 60gb
Seagate momentous hybrid xt 750gb HDD/ssd sta3 7200rpm
Lite on i his 104 bluray drive
Asus dvd /CD/re write combo drive
PSU???? Don't know what power I will need ..

I'm thinking corsair cx 750 80+ bronze(I think right)
Or corsair tx750
Can anyone help me out I ve done a PSU calculator thing but some questions I had no idea what they were it said 675-780w but ticked boxes just in case because I didn't know wat they meant so I thought better to much power than too little right??

trixsta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Hi thanks for your reply I just brought a corsair tx 750 v2 PSU and I stupidly forgot to check if it was modular I really wanted a modular one so I can have a nice clean looking build plus my case as a side window ..I managed to get it for £65 new so I brought it quick as I know these tax 750v2's are actually made by seasonic and in my rush to get a bargain i forgot and I assumed it was semi modular like the CX ones ...ah well I'm still pleased as it seems a good PSU it exactly the same as the xfx 750 pro same components made by seasonic

trixsta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Yeh I suppose so,I was thinking if I had extension cables I could run them around the back plate behind the mobo and also run all the cables I don't need through there too and just cable tie them off ...this is my first ever build so if I am stating the obvious it because this is all new to me ...what about you what would you do with the spare cables..? Or how would you hide them?...just looking for a second opinion ...thanks for your replys I really appreciat it..I want a corsair h80 cooler and really don't want any clutter in there ...I'm Sir I can hide this cables pretty well ...not just for looks but air flow as well ...what do you think ?

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
From the looks there might be enough room to hide it behind the right panel. If not, utilize the bottom hard drive cage, remove the bottom 1-2 hd mounts (the sliders) and you can hide them there after you route them through the back, there they will be out of sight, and easy to get to if you ever end up upgrading something. You can also remove the 5 hd rack to get better airflow and install the hd and ssd youre getting in the bottom.or you can mount the ssd on on the back panel to, on the right side it has mounting holes where u can install it before you install the mobo or you can show off that ssd by using a bit of velcro and setting it on your psu. And if you mount the h80 cooler where your rear exhaust fan will make it pretty, and id recommend on getting 2 140mm low rpm fans to exhaust heat out of the top of the case.

trixsta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Thanks again for replying..yeh that all sounds pretty much what i was thinking,Its just common sense really but where im a noobie at this i just like to hearbwhat others think an what they would do ...Thanks alot for helping out mate im prety much gonna do what you said ...cheers