Is the Logitech G710 difficult to type with?

vertigoelectric

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I'd like to get a decent gaming keyboard, but since I'm a web developer/programmer for a living I need a keyboard that is easy to type with. The G710 has all the overall features I want in a keyboard, but without actually touching it I'm not sure if it will type well. I had the G510 a long time ago, and that was AWFUL to type with. I'm hoping the G710 might be much better than that. I'm looking for people with experience who can tell me what they think.

did you just delete your duplicate post?

i typed out a quite lengthy response however received error 404 and now that i look again that copy is gone.

you will have to be happy with this shorter post instead.

----

the g510 is rubber dome while the g710 is mechanical. the 710 would be superior however for the price you have other options.s

read this http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide to figure out what type of keyswitches are best for you.

buckling spring & cherry mx blue are best for typists since they have tactile and auditory feedback.
cherry mx browns are in the middle with tactile but no auditory feedback.
cherry mx blacks are best for gaming because they have no tactile or auditory feedback.

personally i feel the ibm model m is keyboard perfection. the shape and placement of the keys is perfect, the buckling spring keyswitch is perfect and the sheer weight and durability are perfect. the only negatives are that they support only a 2kro at minimum and some find the keys harder to press and loud. i found the resistance and noise to be good points however i would like unicomp to update their keymatrix so that we can have a higher key rollover. unicomp bought the rights off of ibm so now they produce the unicomp customizer which is a clone of the original. definitely a good product for only $80.

i replaced my 1985 and 1991 model m with a wasd keyboard instead. i figured i would move to a nkro (unlimited key rollover) keyboard instead. while not a bad keyboard i still may get a unicomp when i have more play money.

as far as my current keyboard from wasd is concerned it definitely is good for only $120. you have your choice of blue, brown or black switches, laser etching or engraving, os key type, keyboard layout as well as different keycap color combinations. for extra money you can have custom etched keys or rubber o-ring dampers installed.

some other good products are from ducky, deck, das and maxkeyboard. i would avoid razer as synapse 2.0 is crapware.

again, i cut this post short as i did not feel like typing everything up again. feel free to search for other posts in this section on mechanical keyboards as i went into quite a bit of detail in some of them. or, if you have a specific question feel free to just post it here.

vertigoelectric

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
That was the short version? Heh...

Sorry you lost what you typed. That's super annoying. I never deleted any duplicate. I posted, but then I updated it. It was probably a site glitch/error.

Thanks for all the info. It does help. However, let me tell you some of the key features (no pun intended) I want in a keyboard, in no real particular order...

I'd like it to have dedicated media keys. In other words, I don't like keyboards that require me to hold one key down while pressing another (like a function key) in order to control media players and other things.

On board keylock (caps lock, num lock) indicators are a huge plus. My Wave Pro doesn't have this, and I've had to rely on on-screen indicators, which is incredibly unfortunate.

Extra keys, such as the G710's programmable G-Keys, are another huge plus. I like to be able to have certain actions or applications activated with a single button press. My Wave Pro has a dedicated calculator button, which I use frequently, for example.

I'd like it to at least be aesthetically pleasing to my eye. While researching keyboards one of the top choices seemed to be the Corsair Vengeance keyboard(s), but it's so incredibly ugly to me I don't even care what it can actually do.

In terms of features and appearance, the G710 so far looks like my best bet. I just wanted to make sure I could still type quickly and efficiently with it. Something you mentioned earlier, "cherry mx browns are in the middle with tactile but no auditory feedback", helps lead me toward the assumption that this keyboard might be fine. The G710 supposedly uses cherry mx browns. I don't think I really need auditory feedback so long as my fingers can actually feel like they're pressing the keys efficiently. My Wave Pro has almost no auditory feedback from successful keystrokes, but it works fine because there is a very defined tactile difference between a key being pressed or not. With the G510 I had, each keystroke had to be deliberate, and just because a key was 'down' that did not mean that it registered. I had to make sure I pushed hard enough. My Wave Pro, as I said, as a very defined up versus down, and it's very hard to make it go anywhere in between, so basically, if the key moves, then it's a successful keystroke. If the G710 is anything like this, then it will be fine.

both the wave and 510 are rubber dome switch keyboards. this however does not mean they will feel the same. some domes are very spongey not giving a definite "pop" but instead providing almost no change in resistance until key activation. some rubber domes are also harder to press than others. as you can see this can definitely lead to different results when typing on them.

mechanical keyboards are different. instead of a rubber dome resistance is from a spring. on mx blacks this resistance is the same until key activation or bottoming out which makes it more similar to a spongey rubber dome keyboard except it is much more crisp. gamers like them since they arent as noisy and they dont require a tactile bump. in cherry mx blue and browns you have the same resistance until a certain amount of depression when the keyswitch resistance goes down and the key bottoms out. this is called key letoff. on the blue keyswitches you also have an audible click at around the same time.

i agree, at a minimum i would suggest browns. however, i find that the audible click is easier to use as a keyswitch activation signal than the bump. go to this link and watch the video (after adjusting the speaker volume like it says) http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/videos to get an idea of what they will sound like. then again, i've been using mechanical keyboards for 10 years with audible feedback so i'm used to it.

all in all the g710 should work. i've seen it as low as $107.99 on amazon. i wouldnt pay the full retail price of $150.

OccamsRazer

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I believe the G710 also has o-rings installed to further dampen the noise. I have a filco with brown switches, that is still substantially noisier than any rubber dome keyboard. For this reason I am considering the G710. Also, it is illuminated, which is really nice for late night gaming. For what it's worth, you can modify any mechanical keyboard (with Cherry switches) with your own o-rings as well. There are guides on youtube.