Sign in with
Your question

How Many Case Fans Should I Use?

Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2013 2:41:54 AM

I have a front intake, two side panel intakes, and two top exhausts in my case. I removed the bottom intake due to the restriction of intake air. The side panel intakes are usually off and I don't think I would need them until I add a second GPU. The front intake and top exhausts are constantly running, along with my CPU cooler and GPU.

I'm replacing the front intake fan with a quieter one to bring the noise down, and I expect it to have less airflow. But I think the front intake fan is just mostly cooling the drive cage, so I'm not too concerned about the airflow as long as it's moving. I think this is the optimal fan configuration for my case, but I would love to get some fresh air onto the GPU, since it uses a reference design and is dependent on the dead air surrounding the blower fan.

More about : case fans

a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2013 9:13:05 AM

what case do you have? generally, the stock configuration is enough. more fans dont always help like for example, fans make no difference in my 550D
April 20, 2013 5:59:18 AM

TheBigTroll said:
what case do you have? generally, the stock configuration is enough. more fans dont always help like for example, fans make no difference in my 550D

I have a Rosewill Ranger Mid-ATX case, it's not very big but it's full of fan slots.
Related resources
April 20, 2013 8:06:40 AM

I'm actually really concerned about noise because my computer is on my desk about 2 feet away. The fan configuration I have right now is pretty quiet but the front intake can makes too much noise. The AF120 fans are nice but I was thinking of getting Scythe Gentle Typhoons, I hear those are top notch as well?
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2013 2:40:38 PM

the GTs make more noise than the quiet editions or the performance editions. i have a GT 1850rpm but i never run it above 1100rpm.

!