How Many Case Fans Should I Use?

I have a front intake, two side panel intakes, and two top exhausts in my case. I removed the bottom intake due to the restriction of intake air. The side panel intakes are usually off and I don't think I would need them until I add a second GPU. The front intake and top exhausts are constantly running, along with my CPU cooler and GPU.

I'm replacing the front intake fan with a quieter one to bring the noise down, and I expect it to have less airflow. But I think the front intake fan is just mostly cooling the drive cage, so I'm not too concerned about the airflow as long as it's moving. I think this is the optimal fan configuration for my case, but I would love to get some fresh air onto the GPU, since it uses a reference design and is dependent on the dead air surrounding the blower fan.
5 answers Last reply
More about case fans
  1. what case do you have? generally, the stock configuration is enough. more fans dont always help like for example, fans make no difference in my 550D
  2. TheBigTroll said:
    what case do you have? generally, the stock configuration is enough. more fans dont always help like for example, fans make no difference in my 550D

I have a Rosewill Ranger Mid-ATX case, it's not very big but it's full of fan slots.
  3. yeah it looks like that you dont need that many fans. if you want to make things a bit more silent though

these should help.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181021&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

or get the high performance editions. they are slightly louder but then they move more air. they have a voltage reducer inside if you want to drop the noise accordingly

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RESGD0/?tag=pcpapi-20
  4. I'm actually really concerned about noise because my computer is on my desk about 2 feet away. The fan configuration I have right now is pretty quiet but the front intake can makes too much noise. The AF120 fans are nice but I was thinking of getting Scythe Gentle Typhoons, I hear those are top notch as well?
  5. the GTs make more noise than the quiet editions or the performance editions. i have a GT 1850rpm but i never run it above 1100rpm.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Cases Fan Cooling GPUs CPUs