Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on refurbishing an old gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2013 5:09:13 AM

Just inherited my brother's old gaming PC. The PSU died and he figured it was about time to upgrade anyway.

Core 2 Duo E5200, Edit: MSI P7N SLI motherboard, 2Gb DDR2 800. Geforce 8800GT. 5 years ago it was pretty sweet.

I replaced the PSU with a Coolermaster Elite 500w. It's pretty basic but it was cheap at £30 and has a decent 40 amps on the 12v rail. I've already upgraded it to 4GB of RAM (£12) and replaced the crappy Intel CPU cooler with a spare Zalman Superflower I had in my spares box.

So, what else should I do with it? Replacing the motherbaord is a definite no-no as the Windows 7 key is OEM. It's not worth spending serious money on as this is just for fun. The 8800GT is pretty archaic, but I don't want to spend as much as £70 on a 7750. I saw a Core 2 Quad Q8300 go for £41 on Ebay, that looks interesting. Maybe a 60Gb SSD.

Just really looking for thoughts and ideas, if you were looking at sprucing up an old machine as a spare LAN gaming rig (L4D2, Torchlight 2, that kind of thing) what would you go with?
April 19, 2013 5:12:41 PM

If you can, get a 2 quad! great cpu, although dont ever buy used! also a gpu upgrade to a gts 450 or a 260 would be in order. anything newer than that would be bottle necked by the cpu.
April 20, 2013 11:03:26 AM

Good call on the geforce 450, that looks like a good card for the money.

Am umming and ahhing between the E8400 (dual core @ 3Ghz) or the Q8300 (quad @2.5Ghz). It occurs to me that the kind of games this PC will be capable of running are going to benefit more from a high clock speed than more cores.

Why not buy used? I buy and sell stuff on Ebay all the time and have never had proble. Have you seen prices for new Core 2 Quad processors (it's a lot!)?
Related resources
April 24, 2013 8:53:52 AM

gopher1369 said:
Good call on the geforce 450, that looks like a good card for the money.

Am umming and ahhing between the E8400 (dual core @ 3Ghz) or the Q8300 (quad @2.5Ghz). It occurs to me that the kind of games this PC will be capable of running are going to benefit more from a high clock speed than more cores.

Why not buy used? I buy and sell stuff on Ebay all the time and have never had proble. Have you seen prices for new Core 2 Quad processors (it's a lot!)?

my school is upgrading and getting rid of alot of 2 quad machiens. might be the same near you.
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2013 9:23:18 AM

useds might be a worn out system that was overclocked and/or undercooled.

as is, it will probly make a decent retro gamer, or a great HTPC
April 24, 2013 2:02:35 PM

Well I'm staggered. I went with the E8400 (used, Ebay, £27), overclocked to 3.6Ghz. Installed Tomb Raider. Turned all the settings up to high (there are 2 higher settings, Ultra and Ultimate, but they require a direct X 11 graphics card, so I couldn't select them) and expected the game to crawl. Ran the benchmark and got an average of 50fps. I'd forgotten just how good the 8800GT really is. Old yes, but still good.

(My TV is only 1366x768, which obviously helped a lot, but the game still looked lovely)

!