I want to know which is hotter and why

Joe Evans

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I want to know what's hotter an nvidia 670 3gb EVGA or a Powercolor 7950 3gb? My friend said his was 30 (his 670) and mine is 22 degrees c on idle. Which is hotter in the general consensus and why? Thanks :)

It depends on the cooler being use. For example custom cooler 7950 might be cooler under load when compared to 670 with stock cooler. Also ambient temperature inside the case or room can affect gpu temperature as well

Mutant_Guy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013

Temperature mainly depend on the cooler of the card you choose as stated above. Because some manufacture will do the custom design instead of sticking to reference PCB. Both are equal chips. But they do show differences in different application. So you have to choose depend on what application you are intend to use. See the below comparison

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=550

Also there is a pro and con for each ATI / nvidia. For eg for GPU acceleration in software applications nvidia is better but Open CL is catching up. Also nvidia has physX so you better choose nvidia if you are intend to play games like borderlands 2 / Badman A City. nvidia support adaptive v sync.

I know more about nvidia so i'm talking about their advantage. Definitely ATi will has it own advantages compared to nvidia.