HTPC Build Guidance

USCMitch

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Greetings all-

I'm currently working on an HTPC build. This will be my second ever build, having previously build a WHS 2011 server.

The goal is to have a media device that will be able to run XBMC, Plex, or MediaPortal; play Blu-Rays/DVDs, etc. The HTPC will also potentially act as a repository for streaming to other devices in the future.

I've organized what components I'm going to use as seen here: http://

As you may notice, there is one key component missing.... the case.

I've had quite a lot of trouble finding the right case. I'd like a case that can accommodate the components; has 1 5.25" external bay (for the optical drive) and 1 3.5" external bay (for the IR receiver). Or has a built-in IR receiver and simply the 1 5.25" bay. The case should also be of decent quality, quiet, and not absurdly priced. The best I've found so far are these two:

http://

http://

All that being said, my questions are thus:
1) Are there any component incompatibilities that I've overlooked? Anything I've totally missed?
I'm not 100% sold on the PSU, and I've gotten drastically different wattage results depending on what calculator I use. I don't want to be under-powered, but don't want to pay for watts I won't use either.

2) Are there any recommendations for a case that meets what I'm looking for and would be better than the two linked above? I'm okay with the Lian Li case, as I can use an adapter to convert one of the 5.25" bays into a 3.5" for the IR receiver, but that could potentially be aesthetically bad if the blacks don't quite match (OCD, I know, but it is what it is.)

Thanks in advance for any tips, help, and advice.

V/R,
Mitch

USCMitch

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Tracking on the i5-3570K being overkill, but my thinking was that it fit in the budget, and it would give me some flexibility in the future if I wanted to incorporate some gaming, etc.

I have looked a the NMediaPC 6000B. It seems like the perfect case. I just had some concerns based on the reviews regarding it's quality. I will give it another go though.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've owned my NMediaPC 200ba HTPC case for about seven years now. At the time, the main complaint was the front door that hid the front USB/card reader ports was flimsy and often arrived broken. It took me four years and being careless for that door to finally break on mine.

The optical drive bay may be a bit off. When I first installed my DVD drive, there wasn't any issue. I installed it, fired up the system, pressed the tray open button and it worked as I expected it to. When I later upgraded to a Blu-Ray drive, that's when I noticed there was a slight misalignment that caused the drive door to stick. Some wiggling around and a couple paper shims resolved that issue.

My point is, some of the complaints concerning NMediaPC cases are true, but none of that would deter me from getting another one when it's time to rebuild. Also, I just don't see spending more than $100 on any computer case.

-Wolf sends

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.19 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 2000B HTPC Case ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($72.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Antec Multi-Station Basic Internal IR Receiver ($27.99)
Total: $934.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-20 11:28 EDT-0400)