Asus VN247H-P Monitor Input Lag

BlockQuid

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
I've been looking for a decent gaming monitor for my computer build. I've narrowed it down to a few, and at the moment I'm pretty set on this monitor from Asus. http://
Only problem is that I haven't been able to find any info on what the input lag is like (not response time). I don't need anything crazy fast, I just want to know if it's passable for gaming.

Do any of you have experience with this monitor and would lag be a problem? I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on a monitor at the moment.

BlockQuid

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

Yeah it seems like a good buy. Input lag is the delay from when commands like a keystroke or mouse movement/click are performed, and when it registers on the monitor. It usually isn't a big deal for normal computer use but for gaming you want it as low as possible.

Problem is most manufacturers don't list input lag on the monitor specs. This list has a bunch of monitors that have low input lag, but most of them just aren't exactly what I'm looking for or are outside my price range. http://

BlockQuid

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

Here's where I read most of the information about it. http:// The article says there's no one cause, but it can be caused by the monitor. I think it's something with how long the monitor has to process the signal. Just wondering because I haven't heard much about how the monitor I'm looking at performs in this case.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting. But you must have extremely quick reflexes to be burdened by the differences of a few thousandths of a second. As the article alludes, the delay caused by everything but the monitor seems to make the few ms of monitor lag time unimportant. But they do list some monitors for you to pick from if you think that is an issue worth worrying about. Asus seems to have some of the best. I've never been good enough at gaming to worry about a few milliseconds of 'monitor lag'.
;)

BlockQuid

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
It's not really about reflexes as much as it is about keeping consistent input. In an extreme example, just imagine what it would feel like if your mouse cursor had a one second delay :). It's actually pretty easy to notice (when it gets bad), even for people that don't game that much. Basically it just makes aiming feel difficult because everything being displayed is lagging behind command inputs. My tv had a problem with that when I had my xbox 360 hooked up to it. I'd flick the analog stick to look around, and there would be a very noticeable delay. I changed the resolution from 1080p to 1080i and it pretty much removed the delay.

But yeah Asus looks to be a pretty good buy. I'm assuming the one I wanted to purchase should be ok, considering there were a few Asus monitors on the list. It's got good specs, and the two HDMI ports means I can have my gaming pc and xbox hooked up at the same time haha ;)

doomsby

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

This is simply untrue. Why do you state things that you do not know about?
Response time is how long it takes the pixels to go from g2g (grey to grey).

The input lag he is talking about is how long it takes for the image your graphic card is outputting to be displayed on your monitor. This is usually MUCH higher than the "response time" dumb thing that manufacturers put on item specs.

There are a few ways to determine this but the easiest is having your monitor next to a CRT monitor (they have no processing because it is analog not digital) in clone mode and then taking a picture of an accurate stopwatch to show the difference.

There are also other factors that can help make it so when you click it shows on the monitor as quickly as possible such as cpu/gpu etc.

OP: That is a good monitor, one of the best if you would like low input lag! Also check into other things on your computer as well it takes about 50-100ms on average for your computer to process your mouse clicks so it might be beneficial to look into that.

TRENDING THREADS