Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice about buying a budget gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 20, 2013 8:44:05 AM

Firstly, thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide. I am located in Seoul, Korea and was considering purchasing some parts and building my own basic gaming rig to play games like Battlefield 3 and similar games. I went out looking at the various pc malls in Seoul and came across a vendor selling Intel I5 760 pcs for very attractive prices. When reading the cpu hierarchy charts it seems like a good deal, what am I missing?

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next 30 days

Budget Range: $550 including a 27" monitor.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: As stated above, Battlefield 3, Dirt 3 and other games in those 2 category genres.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, the PC Mall in Seoul has 27" 1080p monitors for $125 used. I have bought one in the past and it has done me right so I will be adding one of these in the total budget of $550. So, $425 for the system without monitor.

I will be needing everything but a keyboard and mouse for this setup.

Do you need to buy OS: No, they offer a free image of Win7 64 bit on the drive if you purchase from them.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I am an American and have priced off Newegg, Frys and TD and haven't been even close to this pricing so that is what led me to asking you guys/gals for feedback.

Location: Seoul, ROK. I checked the PC websites noted for Korea from the link in the forums but haven't been able to come close to these vendors selling older versions of the I5 & I7's so that is why I am here.

Overclocking: Nope, has bad experiences in past so one big mistake was more than enough.

SLI or Crossfire: Nope but I would like a basic entry/budget card. HD 6850 or HD 7770.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

So here is the configuration I am most fond of in my budget:
I5 760
H55 Intel MB
4gb ddr3
sata2 320gb hdd
HD6850
dvdrw
500w PS
KB,mse, spkr
330,000 won = $325 roughly + 27" monitor $125 = $450 roughly based on currency conversions.

Another vendor is offering:
I7 860
8gb ddr3
P55 MB
CTX 460 1gb
500 watt ps
This one did not include an HDD. Image on a 320gb was another $70.
370,000 won = $365 roughly + 27" monitor $125 = $475 + $70 HDD = $545 roughly based on currency conversions.

I understand the hierarchy of processors so I am not getting 2nd or 3rd generation performance. I also get the sata 2 versus sata 3 and usb 2 versus usb 3. Those two can be changed with a motherboard option if I recall my conversation with him. I think he was offering a mb with hard drive upgrade for $75.....those details are fuzzy. The rest I received in writing including the specs. Any advice? I compared these configs to the 3rd generation processors and can't get the same ram, hdd capacity, and PS for less than $150 more than the above stated prices.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area...
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2013 11:36:54 AM

The first build is better balanced and is cheaper. Go with that.
April 20, 2013 8:45:44 PM

allanitomwesh said:
The first build is better balanced and is cheaper. Go with that.


Thanks for the reply. Was just a little worried about buying older components. I called today and was relieved to hear the pc was warranty covered for 12 months. He offered an upgrade to the mb.....would it be wise or is this configuration ok for gaming? Highest resolutions arent that big of am issue. From my limited budget and research I think the 6850 gets the job done as far as frame rates for the games I plan to play. No interest in OC so not sure I see a valid reason to change the MB unless there is something Im overlooking...? Thanks again for the input.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2013 11:17:04 PM

Well, older parts have a bigger power bill,and less support for newer and newer games,but you should be fine as is at 1080p or less.
What's the price of the upgrade and what are you getting?
April 21, 2013 1:56:40 AM

why don't u buy a 3rd generation i5 they are very good for gaming and buy a newer card like 7850 or 650 ti boost
April 21, 2013 8:49:39 PM

allanitomwesh said:
Well, older parts have a bigger power bill,and less support for newer and newer games,but you should be fine as is at 1080p or less.
What's the price of the upgrade and what are you getting?


I didnt get the specs as it was a short call I madeto him to see if they offered a warranty. I will check with him this weekend and get back to you on it. Does Sata3 made a big difference vs sata2 for gaming? That would be the chief reason I would upgrade anything from the configuration hes offering for $325.
April 21, 2013 8:56:54 PM

l89 said:
why don't u buy a 3rd generation i5 they are very good for gaming and buy a newer card like 7850 or 650 ti boost


I would love to go 3rd gen i5 and bigger badder VC but that would cost me almost $200 more and kill my budget. These are new components (offering preowned monitor). Ive considered an i3 3rd gen instead of the 1st gen i5 but im still over budget when trying to work a monitor into the mix as well. Would you take an i3 3rd gen over an i5 1st gen if all other components were equal? From Tom's hierarchy on cpus it looks like performance wouldnt be as good with an i3 compared to an i5 despite the generational difference.
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2013 10:55:52 PM

Stick to quad cores,newer games are brutal on i3's and pentiums
April 22, 2013 6:18:46 AM

allanitomwesh said:
Stick to quad cores,newer games are brutal on i3's and pentiums


i agree with you that newer games do better with quad cores but only if u play massive multiplayer games
also 13-3220 is placed above i5-760 in the hierarchy chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
and i3-3220 can perform well if used with a good gpu
and u have a better upgrade path as new haswell processors also have the same socket
i3-3220 has much better single core performance even a fx 4300 has a better single core performance than a i5-760
since u will be gaming at 1080p u will not get good fps with either cards
April 22, 2013 7:13:33 AM

l89 said:
allanitomwesh said:
Stick to quad cores,newer games are brutal on i3's and pentiums


i agree with you that newer games do better with quad cores but only if u play massive multiplayer games
also 13-3220 is placed above i5-760 in the hierarchy chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
and i3-3220 can perform well if used with a good gpu
and u have a better upgrade path as new haswell processors also have the same socket
i3-3220 has much better single core performance even a fx 4300 has a better single core performance than a i5-760
since u will be gaming at 1080p u will not get good fps with either cards


I was really hoping this wasn't the case~!
Now I am back to square one as I need to either increase my budget or wait awhile longer until I can afford more computer.

Thanks for the input, it has been greatly appreciated!
a b 4 Gaming
April 22, 2013 7:18:55 AM

Still think the i5 build is proper, complete with monitor.
April 22, 2013 7:25:43 AM

allanitomwesh said:
Still think the i5 build is proper, complete with monitor.


Considering I had a system in 2009 with an ATI 4670 that performed more than capably for my needs, AND BUDGET, I am still thinking it is good for my budget and needs too! Talking it over with the wife and will be replying back here in a couple weeks at the latest when I have more specifics about possible upgrades he is offering.

Thanks to all your help guys
April 22, 2013 9:43:23 AM

joeheckel said:
l89 said:
allanitomwesh said:
Stick to quad cores,newer games are brutal on i3's and pentiums


i agree with you that newer games do better with quad cores but only if u play massive multiplayer games
also 13-3220 is placed above i5-760 in the hierarchy chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
and i3-3220 can perform well if used with a good gpu
and u have a better upgrade path as new haswell processors also have the same socket
i3-3220 has much better single core performance even a fx 4300 has a better single core performance than a i5-760
since u will be gaming at 1080p u will not get good fps with either cards


I was really hoping this wasn't the case~!
Now I am back to square one as I need to either increase my budget or wait awhile longer until I can afford more computer.

Thanks for the input, it has been greatly appreciated!


the thing is if u drop to 720p than u can build a pretty good budget pc if u can do that than we can help
but i suppose if u are building from scratch 1080p will be better
!