Very strange problem

Chris Evans

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
So first of all I'll detail my setup

I have a PC, which I've taken apart and put back together again so I know that nothing is loose or non-functioning, or anything like that.

I have a flat that I share with a friend of mine, and we have 1 half of this large living room each, one side has my PC and the other his.

I have a rug, and on the rug is my computer chair, and the front part of my desk. My PC is under my desk, to my right and the very front of it is touching the rug but I don't think that's the issue, as I've tried removing the rug and it makes no difference, so I don't think it's a weird static problem.

At the back of my desk I have an extension reel, and all my stuff is plugged in to that and the wall socked to my left.

The cables are all in properly and in a neat state, no tangling or bent parts in any cables.

The Ethernet cable goes under the rug but I've tried having that elsewhere when I do the thing that causes the problem (which I will explain shortly).

Now, the problem: When I stand up out of my computer chair, which is on the main part of the rug, my PC restarts. It happens whether I jump out of my chair, or if I climb out at a normal speed, but nonetheless it still happens and it's really screwing with my head. If I wheel my chair off the rug and out of this area of the room (back and left about 1 meter) and then stand up, it's absolutely fine.

I've tried using different power sockets (including the same one my flatmate uses for his PC (and his doesn't shut down when I stand up), and the same one as the router which also doesn't shut down, so I've ruled out it being the power socket. In-fact I've also ruled out the extension chord as nothing else that is plugged into it turns off when I do it.

I've tried shaking my PC, moving cables around and giving it quite a vigorous move around, and it is totally fine. The ONLY thing that makes it restart is when I stand up, out of my chair, while it's in front of my desk here.

I joked with my friend that maybe the person who lived here before us had a security measure installed in the floor in-case he got raided by the police, so it would restart his PC and clear passwords out from the RAM. It's just a joke of course but it's still the only logical explanation!

If anyone has any ideas as to what this might be, please leave suggestions for me below! It's really strange and I can not figure it out.

I know it's a different question to what you're probably used to, but I'm grasping at straws now.

Thanks a lot! Sorry it's a lot of text.

P.S. When I restart my PC, sometimes it comes up with an error saying it crashed because of overclocking, but temps and everything are way below average so... not sure.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It still sounds like an ESD issue to me. Can you temporarily move the PC to the top of the desk or put it on a table and see if the problem still occurs? Is the rug a thin material or thick?

I had a similar problem with one of my PCs. It would not allow me to insert a metalic USB stick into the port without re-booting. If I used a totally plastic USB stick, the problem disappeared.

Chris Evans

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

Alright I'll give that a go first thing tomorrow and leave you the feedback as soon as I get a minute, thanks!