Are gateways modems really that bad?

MyNameIsTony

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I'm going to get Comcast soon and i don't know if i should get a gateway or a modem and router by themselves. Is the arris tg862 anygood or no???

JimF_35

Distinguished
A gateway is a generic term used to describe the access point to the Internet. Now the devices the ISPs send you can be all-in-one devices which mean they have a Modem, Router, Wifi and Switch combined into one package which they will commonly call the "Gateway" because to it it a modem or a router is not 100% accurate.

The topology normally looks like this.

Internet -> Modem -> Router (which splits the internet access or layer 3, to more than one computer) -> Switch (which splits the port connections or layer 2, to more than one computer) -> WiFi (Provides wireless connection to computers)

Now you can buy the Modem, Router and Switch seperate and hook them up. Some would argue that this is better because with all-in-one devices you are putting all of your egs in one basket.

Now when you say "Gateway" are you talking about a brand of device or are you talking about the generic term given to the device? I you are talking brand, I have never had a device from Gateway and can't comment on wether it is better or not. If you are looking for a brand to recommend then...

Modem - I like Motarola modems the best.
Router - I like Netgear the best.
Switch - They are bullet proof so I would go with a LinkSys.
WAP - I like Cisco (yes they are more expensive but relyable)

You really don't need a switch because just about ever Router comes with a switch built in. Expesially WiFi routers because if you had strictly a WiFi Access Point (WAP) it needs to connect to a switch before the router and this confuses people.

Hope that helps.

MyNameIsTony

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Yea I wanted to get a 3 in 1 generic term gateway that comcast offers but i don't know if it would be good heres the link.
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/about-wireless-gateway/

I don't know if i should get that or get a modem by itself and buy a router like this one.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-WGR614-Wireless-G-54Mbps-Broadband-Router/2304416?_mm=

I'd rather get the gateway but if its bad then i would go with the router and a modem that comcast provides me. Whats your opinion on this?

JimF_35

Distinguished
Two schools of thought on that.

One, if you get a seperate router you can ealy switch ISPs because all you would need is a new modem and would not need to reconfigure your WiFi settings.

Two, if you get a seperate router then you will not be able to get tech support on your router from your ISP. So if you need hep setting up your router you would not be able to call your ISP and would have to deal with the manufactuers tech support.

Hope this helps.