6+ monitor gaming in landscape questions

coinmaster

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
So, I've been wondering this for a long time and I want to find out so I know what I'm going to do with my next build. First of all I want to know if WoW can be played at super insane resolutions like 6+ panoramic monitors.
Second will the "fish eye" effect make the picture so stretched on sides that it will be unviewable passed 3 monitors or does the fish eye effect only happen on the edge of the monitors no matter what resolution you play at?
I'd like to eventually expand to a 12 monitor set up if this works, in theory if I did set up a 12 monitor panoramic surround with quad sli would my fps crash to the ground since quad sli scales poorly or will 4 gpus be able to handle 3 monitors each as well as a lower resolution?

Spaniard United

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
WoW, unless you use addons that fix this, would not work because the UI is designed to scale to the outer edge of the monitors, meaning your right UI pieces would be way on the right edge whereas your left ui pieces would be, you guessed it, way on the left side.

6 monitors in landscape (unless you're stacking them above each other) won't work because:

1. you'd have to literally turn your chair, not just your neck, to see
2. the fish eye would be horrendous
3. you just don't have that much peripheral vision

Now portrait is another matter. 6 in portrait wouldn't be as bad, though the very center would be bezel instead of screen. At 6 monitors you really need a 3x2 (horizontal x vertical) setup. Anything above that and you need a wall to mount them on ... and a neck brace.

coinmaster

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Yeah I Already have to UI issue figured out. My chair is going to be far enough away from the screens to see 6 monitors with only turning my head.
I guess I'd end up doing 5 monitors so I don't have a bezel in my face, I'd just need to know how bad the fish eye effect would be on 9k resolution.

Spaniard United

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
It is very noticeable on 3 ... I can't even imagine on 5 ... You're either going to end up with fish eye on the 2nd and 4th monitor and really bad fish eye on the 1st and 5th ... or the entire thing will end up stretched.. Developers just don't make games with that much horizontal real estate ... so the image gets pretty stretched to try and fill all the pixels.

Isn't 6 monitor Eyefinity meant to be used in 2 rows of 3? As far as the UI concerns, there are lots of mods to let you completely reposition the whole UI and scale it however you want, so that shouldn't be a big issue. 5 monitors in portrait mode is another possible setup, but whether either setup, you'll need a primary AMD card with the proper connections, most won't work.