First time building my own laptop

JasonGrant95

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Hey guys, I want to make my own laptop as a pet project, just something simple which I could learn to program with (I intend to begin university study on a Computer Science degree before the end of the year.) As I already have a laptop I don't want to spend a huge amount of money as this is more a learning experience and I would appreciate help for everything I will need during the build!

Lots of thanks for anyone that answers and I really appreciate the help! :)

1. What is your budget? 600-850$ (Around £550)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Preferable 14" but 13,3 might do as well, something lightweight

3. What screen resolution do you want? Anything considered better than sub-standard!

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? A basic secondary laptop

5. How much battery life do you need? 4-5 hours would be good

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Haven't really considered it, but would like to try games like Minecraft etc, nothing else like Crysis, Diablo or any of that

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Mainly programming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not a big concern 2-300GB will be loads

9. How long do you want to keep your laptop? A couple of years

10. What kind of Optical drive do you need? None required but if available at a low cost any form would be a plus

11. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Any brand that you's find suitable!

12. What country do you live in? North of Ireland