Any suggestions for this casual gaming pc build?

erob

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RZX5

The parts are:

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Xigmatek LOKI SD963 52.0 CFM CPU Cooler
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply

I am planning on spending about $800 on a casual gaming pc. I already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard, 300 gigabyte raptor and a small SSD, so I haven't included those parts. I'll probably buy a copy of Windows 7 separately.

I think the weak point is probably the gtx 660, I am hoping for decent performance with today's games, allowing for an upgrade in a year or two to keep it current.

It sounds to me like the i7-3770k is actually overkill and that I wont get better performance in most games compared to an i5. The computer might be used for editing large photos, so that is why it is there currently instead of an i5.

I don't really know anything about the CPU cooler, ram or power supply, so I don't know if those are the best choices or not.

I'm currently a console gamer looking to make the transition to pc gaming with this coming generation. I'm hoping for much better performance than the current consoles, and ideally somewhat better than the ps4/next xbox as well, with upgrades later. I don't play a ton of games and I don't need the highest resolutions or Crysis 3 at max settings. Given that I've selected what seems to me like a pretty mid-range card for now with the intent to upgrade it later, how will this build do for my purposes? Am I missing anything that I will need? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Here is my suggestion for what you get for the CPU cooler, RAM, and PSU.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $132.95

All of those components are the best for the money right now, you really will not get much more out of the other components.

The xigmatek cooler is equal on every account to the Hyper 212 EVO, maybe the EVO is better in some cases.

The RAM is $15 cheaper and gives the same performance, plus it's LP (low profile)

Same PSU, it's a great value.

You should be able to upgrade without to much of a hassle the only thing I would change is that you should get the 7870XT, it's about $30 more but it will perform about 30% better in every single application/game you may want to play, which means you don't bust your wallet every couple of years but maybe in the next 5 years or so.

In the end everything will do, you should do specific research as to whether your picture editor really needs the i7 or would the i5 suffice.

Have fun with your build!

erob

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Thank you for the advice! I ordered everything and did go with the 7870XT. The card I ordered included 3 games as well, so it was well worth the additional cost. I'm looking forward to putting it all together. Thanks again!