LAN party help

foxmclou

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hi, on the 27th I'm having my first LAN party, but my router only has 4 ports and there will be either 5 or 6 computers wired (one depends if the wi-fi works on a laptop) for equipment I have an old Linksys 5-port workgroup hub (got it the other day for $3) and 2 routers, both only 4 port, one Linksys and the other Netgear. I have 4 ethernet cables handy and one usb ethernet, what woudl be the recommended configuration, I can get more cables incase.

Do not use the linksys if it really is a HUB if it is a switch then it is fine. A hub only runs half duplex and will cause a large degradation in performance.

Pretty much on your router disable the DHCP and plug them into your main router. It will likely be as simple as that but if these are older routers you may need to use crossover cable.

foxmclou

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

so do I just run an ethernet cable from the router, say, port 4 to the second routers internet port or port 1?

foxmclou

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Okay, I tried plugging in the second router, at first I plugged it into the output on both router, so they kinda "swaped" the linksys would show the netgear and the netgear was linksys when I went to 192.168.1.1, but I fixed it and I didnt need to turn off DHCP (which is good, since I coulnt find it)

foxmclou

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

yes, they both use default, why do i need to change the ip?

IP addresses are suppose to be unique. It may or may not matter. If you have no need to for internet access it won't matter. The issue is if you do need to get to the main router to get to the internet you all you end PC don't know which router to send traffic to to get to the internet.