New Gaming Build $1.2k budget.

berzerkfrenzy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Hello everyone! I used to be up on all the hype about 5 or 6 years ago, but really have no clue with all the major changes over the years. I'm looking to buy or build a new gaming computer. Obviously the cheaper the better, so I could probably push for $1,200 max. I used to build my own computers until I bought my Dell XPS 630i. I'm still using it, but it's really starting to show it's age, even though I upgraded the video card to a Radeon 7850 about a year or so ago. Plus there have been some quirks and issues here or there, and its about 6 or 7 years old now. It originally had XP Pro. I upgraded it to Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

So to cut to the chase. I do not play any first person shooters, so I don't care how well it can run Call of Duty BLOPS 2, or Battlefield 3, or anything like that. I do play MMO's and MMORPG's, and will occasionally play other games as well. So my focus, currently I play World of Warcraft and Diablo 3, I will be playing Elder Scrolls Online as well as maybe some other games in the future. I do realize the specs for ESO are not available, and I can only speculate. I'd like to play these games on the highest settings possible at least for the next 3 years maybe, and would like something to last a total of another 5 or 6. I realize that is probably far fetched. To take into consideration, my monitor I have a 21 Acer Widescreen, and would like to upgrade to a 23-24ish at some point in time soon. So basically I would like some recommendations as to maybe build or buy a pre-built (custom) PC, with specs either way.

I've been told that Alienware x51 pc's are good. I can't, however drop the money for a decked out Aurora. So I'm all ears and hoping for some feedback about what I should do or what I should be looking for. I do read the system builder marathon stuff, etc, but after a little bit all the numbers and specs, just boggles my mind now, lol.

Thank you all for your time and effort.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($275.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1042.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-21 20:10 EDT-0400)

Honestly, this build is overkill for MMOs like diablo and ESO. But it'll get weaker as years go by. This should last you awhile with MMORPGs.

berzerkfrenzy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Some of the components I've looked up so far have mediocre reviews and some of them are downright scary. I guess I could probably push the budget a little more for some better quality higher review items.

CPU price is for instore pick up only.
The Plextor SSD states that its for Laptops. I know nothing about these so I'm just not sure why it says that.

Dont bother with Newegg reviews if thats what your going by, notoriously unreliable.

All SSD's will work in a laptop due to their 2.5" form factor, but that doesnt mean they perform any worse in a desktop enviroment.

The $150 price is for in-store pickup only, but I made sure that the total cost is still within your budget if you buy online for ~$30-40 more.
Most newegg reviews are junk. Some are helpful, but think about it. The people who gets a working part is happy and forgets to write a review, while the people who gets a DOA one is all mad and needs to rant about it. They complain about their DOA in reviews, probably not knowing that any and all products has a chance of being DOA, even the high quality and expensive products.
Manofchalk summed up the SSD thing. Most SSDs are 2.5" drives. To go even further, all current HDDs and SSDs use the same connector: SATA. Now that being said, a laptop only has enough room for a 2.5" drive, whether it's an SSD or a 2.5" HDD. Since they use the same connector, they will work in both PCs and laptops.
The psu will be more than efficient. It is a really good and reliable psu. You can't beat the quality you get for the price you pay.