Sign in with
Your question

Worth it to upgrade? How complex is upgrading a cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2013 4:52:32 PM

I currently have a i5 2500k in my system, along with a gtx 680. I was wondering if it would be worth it to purchase a i5 3750k or an i7 3770k. I mostly use my rig for gaming, so that's what I'm most concerned about. Will this increase in performance be noticeable?
Also how complex is it to upgrade a cpu? I'm not really worried about removing it and putting in the new one, as I custom built my pc. I am more worried about the driver aspect of things. Do I have to do anything with the bios or drivers? Thanks for your answers.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2013 5:10:42 PM

Need to know your mobo. Some of them need a bios update to run Ivy Bridge.

But it's not complex besides that, just drop it in. It'd be a better and more cost-effective idea to just overclock your 2500K. You won't see a huge increase in games by upgrading your processor, and those gains would be mirrored with OCing to 4.0 GHz.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2013 5:10:56 PM

"I mostly use my rig for gaming, so that's what I'm most concerned about."

Nope what you have is fine. What FPS are you crrently getting and what FPS do you want to get?

If you have the money I would suggest another 680 in SLI just because the 690 are so hard to come by.

Personally I think you have an awsome gaming rig and would wait for the new systems that are due out at the end of the year.
a c 448 à CPUs
April 21, 2013 7:54:36 PM

Clock for clock, there is not much of an improvement from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. On average the increase in performance is about 6%. Therefore, no reason to upgrade unless that 6% is extremely important.

As for the motherboard, you would need to update the BIOS (assuming the manufacturer released an update) so that an Ivy Bridge CPU can be recognized.
!