Wireless Card working poorly

What is my Best Option?

• Total voters

Yizbenlazzer

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
So I bought a wireless adapter, the TP-Link TL-WN751ND, and I have my computer in the basement, a medium distance away from the router. It gets about one bar out of five, 16% signal strength, and averages 18 Mbps, and the internet drops out randomly (yes, power save mode is off). My laptop, however, has no problem right next to it at 54Mbps. I am searching for a budget solution to solve my slow internet speeds. I am thinking one of a few options, and could you all please tell me which would be best?

1) Get a new network card. I could buy a slightly more expensive card, and hope that my current one is just not good enough to support wireless from that distance.

2) Move the computer near the router. This I know would work but would be really inconvenient as there is no room near the router, or in any of the rooms nearby

3) Run an Ethernet cable. It would have to go down a hallway about 20 feet, down the stairs, about another 10 feet, then turn the corner and go another 30 feet to the computer desk, and it would run through some high traffic hallways.

4) Get a wireless range repeater. I would have to find some place in the middle for this, and I don't think these are cheap.

What is my best option?

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
well if you have a old router laying around that can support ddwrt then you can go that route and turn that old router into a repeater, you can also check out ethernet over power too, is it a usb adapter that you have or is it a pci-pcie card with antennas? maybe slightly higher gain antennas will do the trick?

Yizbenlazzer

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

It's a PCI-E card, with an antenna, and I have a really old computer lying around, could I use that?