Never played Mass Effect before...ever

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
So my friend gave me his broken Xbox and I manged to fix it by re-balling the GPU and it's been working great since. With it working I was considering getting the Mass Effect trilogy. I never played any of the Mass effects games before and everyone says I am missing out. I have a very high PC but I heard the experience is better by playing it on the console? So my question is would it be better to buy it used or new? If i bought it used can I still get the DLCs? I could care less about the multiplayer. I have really crappy internet and low cap so multiplayer is out of the question. What are the pros and cons on PC Vs Console and USED vs NEW.
Thanks

X79

Honorable
Personally I can only really recommend PC, when it comes to ME.

ME3 is a master-piece in my view. The immersion, graphics, story and characters are fantastic.

If you get ME used for PC, make sure you get the correct registration codes.

ME ties up with EA's Origin platform and without the correct registration code; at least for ME3

You won't even be able to install the game. Beyond that, it's personal preference whether you

Want to buy used or not.

If you have a very high-end PC, I really recommend playing it on PC. The graphics are absolutely beautful.

Consoles, for what they're worth, are still very limited platforms. Thus if you CAN, go PC.

If you're still unsure, you can just download a ME3 demo. Just search it.

I should think you can still get DLC if you buy used, but that might vary. New is the most secure, naturally.

I played the trilogy on my PC. Last time I touched a console was when Halo: Combat Evolved was still considered relatively new.

Do not buy used games. Ever. Once a game is registered online it is registered to the original owner. Unless you know that login and password you are basically screwed. Overall, Mass Effect is fun. The 1st Mass Effect game was more RPG than action, Mass Effect 2 and 3 are more focused on action. No game is perfect not even in the Mass Effect trilogy. I'm sure you must have heard about the outcry regarding ME3's original ending, which is why they released a free extended DLC ending for ME3. The ending wasn't really changed, but it did correct some discrepancies and provided some closure.

All of them are fun, but if I had to choose, ME2 was the best. Probably because of all the DLC missions released for the game. ME1 only had 2 DLCs. ME3 only had 3 singleplay DLCs; I'm not really into multi-player games. ME2 had 5 DLCs; Lair of the Shadow Broker is easily the best, then I would say Katusmi: Stolen Memory.

Probably the best thing about the PC version is the saved game editors for the 2nd and 3rd games; "Gibbed". Yeah, you can use it to cheat... but more importantly you can use to edit some decisions you have made so see what the different outcome could be. For example, in the 1st game you need to choose which one of your teammates die. Each have different capabilities and different dialogs in the game. It's a way to experience different aspects of the game without having to replay the game to make the different decisions; unless you want to.

You can buy all 3 games for $28.84; physical disks. Click the following link and click the button to add all three to your cart. The digital download versions are more expensive if you wanna go that route.

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-PC/dp/B0015M0PYI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1366691284&sr=8-7&keywords=mass+effect

Rragar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

The Mass Effect series is one of my favorites ever when it comes to video games. Do play it on the PC if you're able to: the first game in particular was greatly improved over the console version.

Due to the fact that you have to register the games, if you buy them used, you may run into anything from restricted content to being unable to play alltogether.

I can tell you, though, you won't regret buying it new, especially if you like science fiction and rpg games. If you don't skip anything, then you're looking at a 70-80 hour playthrough for each game. There's also some DLC available for all 3 of them. I particularly recommend Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2, and From Ashes for ME3. I have heard Leviathan is also a must-play for ME3.

I think I'm at 7 playthroughs on the first one, 4 on the second one, and have not yet finished my first playthrough of the third. There's a lot of replay value since you can make choices that affect the story both throughout a single playthrough on a single game and the entire series.

ME3's online cooperative mode is not story-driven, mind you, but it's fun.

I would seriously consider jaguar's recommendation on the full trilogy, it's worth every penny.

popatim

Titan
I, on the other hand, never made it thru ME1 (PC). I found the game repetitive and the AI infuriating at times. For example early on in ME1 you meet up with a female survivor and she basically says "Follow me" and then just stands there waiting for you to lead her but you dont know that and you stand there waiting for her to go. You exit and reload a save and run thru it again - same thing <grrr>...
And then when you make it to the starbase (for lack of the correct name) you're going to have way to many stupid side-quests 'excuse me sir, I need a pot to piss in'... But in your first run thru the game you don't know what you can skip and what is really main storyline that you pretty much have to do them all... thats not immersion, thats annoying stupid stuff and thats as far as I got.

Rragar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

150% Agreement