• Raid 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 Separate drives with nightly backup

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Gatepc

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hi here is my setup and requirements. I'm building a computer with and I'm going to be using it for both important productivity and gaming. I have around 120GBs of raw photo files stored in lightroom and about 1tb of games on steam. I also have roughly 40GBs of music. Now I want both performance and backup of at least my photos and music but that is where I'm stuck. First I wanted to run raid 5 off of 3 2TB western digital Reds I know this offers slower writes but slightly faster reads which I thought would help out game load times. But then I thought about just raid 1 because I read that raid 5 sometimes just has horrible read write speeds depending on controller. I'm also thinking of just having a western digital black 2tb for all my stuff with a cheaper western digital blue in the computer not running raid but using backup software everynight for my important files like the photos.

My question is this. If this was your computer and what you needed to do what storage setup would you use and why? So guys what should I do?

Thank you!

BTW setting up raid is not a problem I'm in ITNA so I know how to do that I'm just asking for personal experiences from people that have them or people with a better insight then me on this type of stuff.

Nothing_But_NAS

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
You don't need RAID at all for your setup. This just adds complexity which is not needed in your case. Get SSD for games to improve load times, keep two of the the 2TB drives in the PC for different tasks and the third in a external enclosure for backup.