Problems with FPS and ping in CS: source

Mikkel Ellestad

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I have a new computer that has no problems with much more demanding games like BF3, but with CS: source i have to problems.

1. I only get 40-60 fps (goes up and down all the time)
2. My ping is usually stable at around 40-50, but some (most) days it will have a tendency to "jump" up to 200-300 for just a second or two before it goes down to 40-50 again. This happens every 1- 2 minutes and is quite anoying.

I only play on the same server and no one else has a problem there so it shouldn't be the catalyst. I have tried other servers just to check it out, and I seem to be having the exact same problems there.

My spesifications:
GeForce GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5 memory
Intel Core™ i7-3630QM
8GB DDR3 1333MHz SO-DIMM RAM (2x4GB)
SSD hardisk

I have tried to change max_fps to 300 so i don't think that will help (I saw that was a gamechanger for someone else on this forum)

Kind regards

Mikkel

Mikkel Ellestad

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Thanks for your response.
I am using a wireless connection. I tried a pingtest and got 0 % packets lost. Ping 20 and 2 ms jitter. I dont know exactly what this means? Could it still be my wireless connection that is causing my ping problems with the server? I have actually had i somewhatt similar problems with a different computer on a different wireless connection. Could not figure it out.

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I recently installed CS:S and find that on a server where it looks like my ping is a solid 33-34 I will still get spikes. Wireless is not recommended for gaming and I believe this is the cause.

I have no way of testing while fully wired, is there a way you can?

As for the low fps, this is very weird.

I just looked around and found one solution to something similar. Go into your bios and look for Intel SpeedStep. If your MoBo has that, disable it. It apparently down-clocks your cpu.

If that isn't it you could try going into your nVidia panel and going to Manage 3D settings. Under power management set it to Prefer Max Performance.

Perhaps your GPU is clocking down because it thinks that is enough for CS:S.