Can I reduce power consumption & maintain performance?

zappo

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I recently had to upgrade my CPU because my old one died, the replacement was an Intel Q6600 which I was able to easily overclock from 2.4 to 3 ghz.

I work from home and have the PC on for 12 hours a day and my daytime electricity usage has tripled.

I have turned everything else off and watched the meter and it is definately the PC that is the cause.

So I am wondering whether it would be cheaper to upgade my motherboard, CPU and Ram to an Icore variety in that it would use less power and provide a similar level of performance (assuming it is not overclocked).

If so what Icore is going to consume less electricity and provide similar performance. I do not have any fancy benchmarking software and would not understand it anyway, but Windows 7 64bit performance index reports my processor calcs per second at 7.3.

I currently have two hard disks which I could consolidate to one to reduce power consumption and I have a Geforce 8800GT. The onboard graphics of my Gigabyte gigabyte g33m-ds2r could not power my 24 inch screen, but I am hoping a new generation motherboard might, any recommendations would be appreciated.

zappo

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have no idea or means to measure, what I know is that it used 1255 Kwh in 99 days which is 12 Kwh per day.