optical devices SATA / IDE conflict

Efigilio

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I upgraded my pc configuration from two dvd writers IDE to one IDE and a BD-RW sata
but after the substitution, the old dvd writer that i left is unable to read
The jumper is MA, is connected to the master side of ide cable and from bios its correctly detected, every time i put a dvd he try to read it and stops as if it were empty
i tried with the second old dvd writer but the music is the same
how it is possible?

popatim

Titan
if you have two ide devices on one cable then one needs to be master and the other the slave. Most times the newer device is master and the older the slave.

if you only have 1 device on the cable then it needs to be set to single mode.

You can usually find the jumper setting info on the device label.

popatim

Titan
just remember theres jumpers on the drives for these setting and theres also one labelled CS. This is Cable Select and then the drives position on the cable determines which is master and which is slave. The End is Master and the Middle is slave.

In CS mode you don't use the MS/SL jumpers so make sure they are not there. The reverse is true for Master/Slave mode, make sure the CS jumper is not installed.

For 1 drive with its jumpers in Single mode, see the drives' label for the proper jumper setting to put the drive in this mode, it should be placed on the end connector of the cable to prevent signal reflections from the open connector.

edit - wait a sec... you are using an sata/ide adapter.. which one?