Solved

Stuck in Preparing Automatic Repair

I have an Acer Aspire S3 and I was trying to reset it to factory settings. I turned it off and then I turned it back on and after the ACER splash screen came up I pressed Alt + F10. The spinning wheel started and the msg "Preparing Automatc Repair" came up. It was stuck in that for about 10 minutes then a blank screen. I turned it off and repeated the above and the same thing happened. I left it overnight thinking it might just take a while. Nothing. Now when I turn it off and back on, it does the above without pressing Alt + F10. Any idea what I can do to salvage my laptop? it is only about 5 months old. I do not have an install disk, and I cannot take the battery out. All help is greatly appreciated! I forgot to say that I am running Windows 8. Thanks.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stuck preparing automatic repair
  1. It would appear that your Recovery Partition has malfunctioned. One option would be to return the unit to your Vendor or to Acer under Warranty. If you want to sort it yourself you are going to need installation media and this may be useless if you have no Product key (it may be embedded in your BIOS). Do you have the means to download the Windows 8 ISO? If so, and your Product key can be found on the base of your laptop, you could try the link to the download site provided for 8 Pro upgrade, it will ask for your Key before allowing you to download.
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204
    I would be interested to see if this works, obviously depends on whether or not the Product key will be accepted (It will be for an OEM version of W8) To date I know of no source for a legal download of W8.
    Perhaps a request to Acer for recovery disks would be more beneficial long term if you can't download the installation media.
  2. Thank you Dodger46 for this info. I will investigate the options you presented and let you know if anything works. Thanks again for your help.
  3. Had the same issue with my HP laptop, after mashing the cr*p out of my F8 button, i found F11 at start up sent it to the repair section, i restored to factory settings.
    Problem solved (did however lose all my data).
  4. Thanks again for your help.
  5. Fixed It.


    This is the only thing that worked for me. Beware you might loose your data. Try to backup as mentioned.


    I was facing the same issue for the last 1 month or so. I tried everything what others have mentioned by loading the disk and get to the advanced options, but it didnt worked for me. I tried the Windows 8 disk but again it went to the same loop, I even tried to install windows 7, xp, but still the my computer stuck at the windows screen. I tried everything that I could.


    I was concerned about the hard disk and the data, I bought a hard disk case (It is meant for loading the hard disk and the hard disk can be used as a External USB hard disk) from an electronics shop. I took out the hard disk from my laptop, mounted it on to the Hard Disk Case and recoverd data from my hard drive.

    I was not able to access the C: drive at all (couldnt even format it). Then I formatted my hard disk from the cmd.


    Do this once you have recoverd your data:


    1. Open cmd

    2. DISKPART

    3. LIST VOLUME

    Once you type LIST VOLUME, the file syestem of the C: drive of the laptop hard disk which you have attached as USB might be displayed "RAW".

    NOTE: The volume name of the "C drive" can be any letter other than C, so please be carefull before proceeding.

    4. Then type SELECT VOLUME 3 ( Can be any number, select the one which is the C: drive of the hard disk which you are using as external).

    5. Type CLEAN

    6. CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY.

    7. FORMAT FS=NTFS ( If you want to do a quick format you may type quick after the command as below:

    FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK )

    8. ACTIVE

    9. ASSIGN LETTER <any letter>

    10. EXIT.


    Now you can load the hard disk onto your computer and install any windows without any problem.
  6. Best answer
    Venom277 said:
    Fixed It.


    This is the only thing that worked for me. Beware you might loose your data. Try to backup as mentioned.


    I was facing the same issue for the last 1 month or so. I tried everything what others have mentioned by loading the disk and get to the advanced options, but it didnt worked for me. I tried the Windows 8 disk but again it went to the same loop, I even tried to install windows 7, xp, but still the my computer stuck at the windows screen. I tried everything that I could.


    I was concerned about the hard disk and the data, I bought a hard disk case (It is meant for loading the hard disk and the hard disk can be used as a External USB hard disk) from an electronics shop. I took out the hard disk from my laptop, mounted it on to the Hard Disk Case and recoverd data from my hard drive.

    I was not able to access the C: drive at all (couldnt even format it). Then I formatted my hard disk from the cmd.


    Do this once you have recoverd your data:


    1. Open cmd

    2. DISKPART

    3. LIST VOLUME

    Once you type LIST VOLUME, the file syestem of the C: drive of the laptop hard disk which you have attached as USB might be displayed "RAW".

    NOTE: The volume name of the "C drive" can be any letter other than C, so please be carefull before proceeding.

    4. Then type SELECT VOLUME 3 ( Can be any number, select the one which is the C: drive of the hard disk which you are using as external).

    5. Type CLEAN

    6. CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY.

    7. FORMAT FS=NTFS ( If you want to do a quick format you may type quick after the command as below:

    FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK )

    8. ACTIVE

    9. ASSIGN LETTER <any letter>

    10. EXIT.


    Now you can load the hard disk onto your computer and install any windows without any problem.


    Was that on a machine that came pre-loaded with W8? If so, would be interesting to know how you obtained an installation disk and if there were any problems with Product key...
  7. I finally found the installation disk and took care of it and I didn't have any problem with the product key. Thanks all for you help.
  8. BobbieP said:
    I have an Acer Aspire S3 and I was trying to reset it to factory settings. I turned it off and then I turned it back on and after the ACER splash screen came up I pressed Alt + F10. The spinning wheel started and the msg "Preparing Automatc Repair" came up. It was stuck in that for about 10 minutes then a blank screen. I turned it off and repeated the above and the same thing happened. I left it overnight thinking it might just take a while. Nothing. Now when I turn it off and back on, it does the above without pressing Alt + F10. Any idea what I can do to salvage my laptop? it is only about 5 months old. I do not have an install disk, and I cannot take the battery out. All help is greatly appreciated! I forgot to say that I am running Windows 8. Thanks.
  9. In my Acer laptop after the blank screen i waited for sometime and suddenly it was diagnosing my pc...
  10. BobbieP said:
    I have an Acer Aspire S3 and I was trying to reset it to factory settings. I turned it off and then I turned it back on and after the ACER splash screen came up I pressed Alt + F10. The spinning wheel started and the msg "Preparing Automatc Repair" came up. It was stuck in that for about 10 minutes then a blank screen. I turned it off and repeated the above and the same thing happened. I left it overnight thinking it might just take a while. Nothing. Now when I turn it off and back on, it does the above without pressing Alt + F10. Any idea what I can do to salvage my laptop? it is only about 5 months old. I do not have an install disk, and I cannot take the battery out. All help is greatly appreciated! I forgot to say that I am running Windows 8. Thanks.
  11. BobbieP said:
    I have an Acer Aspire S3 and I was trying to reset it to factory settings. I turned it off and then I turned it back on and after the ACER splash screen came up I pressed Alt + F10. The spinning wheel started and the msg "Preparing Automatc Repair" came up. It was stuck in that for about 10 minutes then a blank screen. I turned it off and repeated the above and the same thing happened. I left it overnight thinking it might just take a while. Nothing. Now when I turn it off and back on, it does the above without pressing Alt + F10. Any idea what I can do to salvage my laptop? it is only about 5 months old. I do not have an install disk, and I cannot take the battery out. All help is greatly appreciated! I forgot to say that I am running Windows 8. Thanks.
  12. Mazhar Malim said:
    In my Acer laptop after the blank screen i waited for sometime and suddenly it was diagnosing my pc...
  13. Misty Burright said:
    Mazhar Malim said:
    In my Acer laptop after the blank screen i waited for sometime and suddenly it was diagnosing my pc...





    Try unplugging the power and take off the battery. Then press start button for 30 secs. Then pop battery back on and plug it in. Press the start button.

    I was also getting the "preparing automatic repair" loop. Called Costco where I bought my Acer Aspire e1 472p -6860. And their tech support said it happens when the automatic updates mess up the computer.

    After following the steps above. My laptop turned on and went through several updates before starting up again like normal.

    Plus side no docs or files were lost.
  14. Wallykazam said:



    Try unplugging the power and take off the battery. Then press start button for 30 secs. Then pop battery back on and plug it in. Press the start button.



    Yes, yes, yes, so simple.

    On my ancient Acer laptop this got it got past the loop, offering the option of restarting or (via advanced options) restoring. Restoring didn't work but restarting it did.

    Thanks for this.
  15. Try unplugging the power and take off the battery. Then press start button for 30 secs. Then pop battery back on and plug it in. Press the start button.



    Yes, yes, yes, so simple.

    On my ancient Acer laptop this got it got past the loop, offering the option of restarting or (via advanced options) restoring. Restoring didn't work but restarting it did.

    Thanks for this.


    Did your laptop get suck on a black screen after the "Preparing Automatic Repair"?
Ask a new question

Read More

Acer Windows 8 Factory Restore