Asus Shows Off ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Tom's needs to do a sound card shootout. It's been a while since I've seen the current players in the sound card space reviewed anywhere. (I'm guessing Creative is no longer relevant?) What about other manufacturers' cards like Azunetech? I'd really like to see Tom's do a nice sound card shootout for 2013.

jordanjkj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Yes because sound cards audio quality is immensely better than onboard. Although onboard quality has gotten a lot better.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Im scared to get a soundcard with a headphone amp. If my computer spoils me with the great sound i'll never be able to listen to music from my phone. My car did the same thing when I got an amp and sub, now I cant stand listening to music in other cars

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hopefully this is an upgraded version of the previous Phoebus with better sound and/or a lower price tag. The sound quality of the first one just didn't match the price.

Thomas Hock

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Sound card sales are not what they use to be. The only sound cards I sell are replacements for older computers. On-board sound cards are way, way, way better than old on-board setups. Were looking at less than 1% market for this add-on card for sure. I don't think I've spoken to anyone in the past 6 years that brags about his sound card anymore. Not like the good old days >_> on-board cards popping on start up and all.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007

No, Creative is still relevant. I'd hate to seem them go given that there isn't enough competition left in the soundcard industry. Thankfully, they've finally managed to release a soundcard with replaceable OpAmps. I'm not sold on much of the rest of their lineup, but the Titanium HD is a via option for some people.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Good to see Sound Cards are still on the cutting edge, even though onboard audio has gotten significantly better over the years. I bought my Fatal1ty sound card a year ago off Newegg, when it was on sale, and have no regrets.

Sound cards offer much better quality and more options than on-board solutions. The only way I would consider replacing my sound card to this is if it had a recording option like the one I have now. I've had My Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card since 2008 and have built a new system since then. I tried the on-board solution before installing my sound card to Hear the difference between my old on-board vs. new on-board vs. sound card and there is still a major difference. Not to mention if my speakers play the sound, I can record it, mix it and change it. Try to do that with standard on-board sound with out spending money for a recording program. The equalizer is real nice to have to to adjust to your liking for game sounds.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I think it's important to remember that with the changes in listening habits, coupled with the changes in the technology of embedded sound cards, that stand alone cards, while still offering much better overall performance, are an increasing niche. Most people years ago didn't care about the sound card as long as they had one period. It's always been that the audiophiles and those who actually really cared to hear better quality off their computers bought these things. But with iTunes and the like, and so many people listening to music on their phones now instead of buying CDs, there isn't really as much interest. A really good sound card will make a ton of difference. However, I don't know that there is a market nearly as large anymore for a terrible ton of people to want to jump on something like this. It certainly is not particularly high on most people's lists.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I have had my ASUS Xonar Essence STX almost 2 years now, and all I can say is that it was like in the early 2000's when I switched from earbuds to big headphones... I was hearing notes in songs that I had listened to 1000's of times before, but had never heard. I use my Sennheiser HD555's with them and it is absolutely amazing. Hell even cheap $30 headphones sound so much better. My high end motherboard built in sound could not compete with it.

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I have the first version of the Phoebus and I'm wondering what the difference is between this one and my version? Everything appears the same. Is it really just missing the desktop controller and that's all?

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
HT omega claro FTW. Have it. Love it. For what I use it for it's my optimum choice. No 1 wants to listen to stereo music in fake surround sound. Has great headphone amp and rca connection for easy integration with a good stereo receiver and speakers for home audio with the ability to buy an add on card for 7.1 audio.

Different people have different things that they focus on. Some people can hear a difference, some can't, and some just don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.