Crucial vs Plextor?

james1988

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Hi guys,

I currently own a Crucial M4 128gb on my desktop and am looking to upgrade to a 256gb SSD since I am running out of space. Struggling choosing between these 4 SSD's

1. Crucial M4 256GB
2. Crucial M500 240GB
3. Plextor M5S 256GB
4. Plextor M5 Pro 256GB

I put reliability first above speed. I have heard good stuff about crucial but looking at Newegg and Reevoo the 256 GB of the M4 seems to experience some trouble among folks. Cant seem to find much user reviews about the M500 though. Looking at the Plextor I am more inclined towards the M5 Pro with the increased MTBF and longer warranty but hoping to hear from someone with real world experience.

Side Note: I reside in Taiwan not the US and suppliers here do not stock the Samsung line of SSD's which would have made my shortlist otherwise. Big brands here are Crucial, Plextor, Intel, OCZ, ADATA with regards to SSD's.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks

Solution
First off, on reliability, I have some 14 SSDs dating althe way back to Intels G1 and G2 - and NOT one has failed.
SSDs I have:
Crucial M4 - 2 x 128 gig and one 256 gig
Samsung 830 - 2 128 Gig and 1 256 gig
Samsung 840 Pro 1 256 gig and 1 128 gig (Just got the 128 gig and have not used yet)
Agillity III's 2 x 128 gig
Older drives Sata II: 2 Intel a G1 and a G2, Pheonix Pro, a WD blue, and one Torqx (forgot who made it.).

On negative comments (ie Newegg). It does look like an increase 1 & 2 egg ratings. Here is a cavet - How many of the low ratings were caused by the User and NOT a manuf defect. Forget the User Knowlege as if they can find the power one button they tend to rate themselves as "HIGH" - LOL. Just some of the...
First off, on reliability, I have some 14 SSDs dating althe way back to Intels G1 and G2 - and NOT one has failed.
SSDs I have:
Crucial M4 - 2 x 128 gig and one 256 gig
Samsung 830 - 2 128 Gig and 1 256 gig
Samsung 840 Pro 1 256 gig and 1 128 gig (Just got the 128 gig and have not used yet)
Agillity III's 2 x 128 gig
Older drives Sata II: 2 Intel a G1 and a G2, Pheonix Pro, a WD blue, and one Torqx (forgot who made it.).

On negative comments (ie Newegg). It does look like an increase 1 & 2 egg ratings. Here is a cavet - How many of the low ratings were caused by the User and NOT a manuf defect. Forget the User Knowlege as if they can find the power one button they tend to rate themselves as "HIGH" - LOL. Just some of the questions I would have.
1) Was the Partition correctly aligned - Not properly aligning the offset leads to premature death. Leading cause is cloning a HDD-> SSD, A clean instal is always the best option for moving from a HDD-> SSD. However some of the Newer Migration software will do this.
2) Allowing trim to pass to the SSD, Just enabling it does not mean that it will pass. The controller must allow it to pass. ie msahci, intels controller and some of the New drivers for AMD Chipset. PS More important for the Crucial M4 as it does have a lossy Garbage Collectors - OK if trim is enacled and passed.
3) How full did the fill the drive. The older recommendation was to leave at LEAST 10 % free, HOWEVER the newer recommendations is to leave a Minium of 20->25% free.
4) this on is a biggy with me - ESD!! Espeacially during the winter months with low Humidity (NOT A Problem in Taiwan). You can build up a 500+ charge and NEVER know it. You then "zap" the SSD and one of two conditions happen A) it looks like a DOA drive, or B) it fails 2->6 months later and you do not even realize you did it - Called "walking Wounded". It is estimated that upto 30% of electronics that are either DOA or fail in the first 3->6 Monthes are due to the user and ESD.
PS Many think that you have to touch the exposed pins to cause ESD - That is a myth. At 500V charge, just picking the SSD up by the case can create a "Walking wounded" SSD that will failue prematurely. This is caused by the ES field surrounding a charge.

I have NO problem recommending a M4.
On plextor. Plextor is an OUTSTAND company. They made the BEST DVD writer until they stopped making them. Mind you they were about twice the cost of the other DVD drives. I have not used their SSD, but would still recommend them. Not sure about the M5S, as long as it does not use Asynchronous NAND it should be fine.

Bottom line: NO problem with any of your 5 choices, if cost is a concern go with the Cheaper, If cost differnce not a problem go with the plextor M5 Pro.

I Added: OK I checked on M5S: M5S uses "Micron 25nm synchronous MLC NAND" So also no problem recommending.

Solution
Crucial and Plextor are two of the four brands I normally recommend. The Crucial M4 and the Plextor MP5 Pro Extreme are both very good drives.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

The Crucial M500 is a brand new ssd that is not yet readily available in all locations. You'll find links to 7 technical reviews in the ssd database.

james1988-1306877

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
thanks Chief

so just to be sure.........in regards to your 2nd point regarding TRIM............

I have TRIM enabled and have SATA set to AHCI mode in BIOS........does that mean that TRIM is enabled and passed as you described? Or do I need to install some other driver or fix some other setting?

Sorry If I sound like a noob. I normally know my way around computers just that this whole SSD thing is new to me. I have only owned my M4 for 2~3 weeks. :)

TRIM is a feature in Microsoft Windows 7 and 8. It is enabled by default. No need to do anything. There is nothing to download or install.

The Windows TRIM feature is activated when a pc user deletes data. Think of it as a message to the ssd indicating that data has been deleted. Modern 3rd generation SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's are able to read the message. Once the message is read the ssd will do one of two things.

1. The ssd will immediately start its own garbage collection process to clear the blocks of the deleted data and prepare the blocks to be reused. This is commonly referred to as "aggressive garbage collection".

or

2. The ssd will delay garbage collection until the ssd is in an idle or near idle state. This is commonly referred to as "passive garbage collection".

There have been some hardware reviews indicating that ssd performance temporarily drops during aggressive garbage collection. As soon as the process is over the ssd returns to normal performance. During ordinary everyday use pc users will not notice the difference.

james1988-1306877

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Ended up buying a M4 since it was on special for only $160

I hate to sound like a Noob yet again but do I need to secure erase the drive fresh out of the box before I install windows? Or just quick format it. I've read a few threads that claimed that you need to secure erase and others that said just quick format since full format is not recommended.

Also Chief since you are a confirmed M4 user, may I ask which firmware you are using? I am currently using the 000f version on my 128GB and Ive read that it is the most stable release. Is that true for the 256GB version as well?

And should I enable write caching on the drive?

Many thanks!

Fresh out of the Box, No do not need to do the secure erease.
Have to check on which FW, but not the latest, think its the one prior. @ work so can not check.
DO NOT need to see idle over night - that is only after it has been in use and TRIM is not being passed to the SSD.

james1988

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

Thanks Chief! You have been extremely helpful!