XFX 7870 Double D Issues

kmcd758

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I recently built a new gaming machine with the following (relevant ) specs:

Core i5 3350P
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Mobo
XFX 7870Ghz Edition Double D Graphics Card
Rosewill 550W Modular PSU
Windows 8 64-bit
ASUS Monitor running 1920x1080

I've been having a variety of issues surrounding video/gaming, and the symptoms seem to be a bit different depending on the game that I am running, hoping someone might have some advice on if this is a bad card, or something I can fix.

-Borderlands 2: Low framerates on high graphics settings, but playable on Medium (though I've read that this is a common issue for a host of cards). Real issue is within 1-3 minutes of starting the game (every single time) it will freeze for a few seconds, the screen goes black and after a brief delay my monitor will show that it has a DVI signal.. from that point on the game runs smooth.

-League of Legends: Game auto-detected graphics settings at Ultra settings, game was hovering between 20-30 FPS.. had to turn settings to low for it to be playable.. after a system restart the game seems to be running smoothly on ultra with 60-70 FPS.

-Starcraft 2 HotS: Game auto-detected at ultra settings, but after beginning a custom game frame-rates were so low it was unplayable. As with LoL, had to turn settings to low to finish the game. After a restart it seemed to be running fine, but have not been able to run many trials to see if it will return.

My machine seems to run as expected with Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3, though the gfx card gets very warm running the latter (90'), XFX did confirm that this is still a "safe" range for the card to operate in. I've been monitoring the temps on my CPU and everything seems to be running cool (upper 20s to mid 30s) with the exception of the GPU, which is getting above 60' only with Far Cry 3 so far as I've been able to tell.

I've always purchased EVGA Nvidia cards and never really had issues that were as odd as this, so a bit frustrated and unable to return the card because it came with some free downloads..

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
XFX should still stand behind their card if that turns out being the issue. From your description, it sounds like the card is defective. (90C may be safe, but it is really hot) But to be sure it's the card, you'd have to swap it out with another known-good card to see if the issues disappear.

The problem could also be driver related. What I would do to eliminate that possibility is uninstall the graphic driver, run Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode and have it remove any remnants of Nvidia, AMD, and ATI graphic drivers it finds.

Reboot, run CCleaner to clean your system, and fix any registry errors it finds. Re-run it until it returns no errors. Then install the latest graphic driver for your card and O/S. See if the problems are still present. If so, you will have to try a different card for a test.

CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Driver Sweeper: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html