Is the CPU Fan needed straight away?

carazzy

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I'm building a pc and im buying it in two sets, what I need straight away e.g. Motherboard, CPU etc, then what i need but not straight away, e.g. Graphics card, but is the cpu fan required straight away? Also I am going to get an Enermax ETS-T40, is that the right choice?

cyder

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Your stock CPU fan is designed to give you the performance that the manufacturer knows about. The only thing though is that the noise level / lights / raw metal design won't be a heavy factor on those stock coolers. I'd say run the stock cooler as you already coughed up cash for it and if you hate it in a few days /weeks then look for an aftermarket that will fit your case.

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
If you mean an after market cooler it's not necessary as long as you're not over clocking, but if you mean a heatsink in general yes, also as said above look for something that will fit in your case.

carazzy

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

Is it easy to detach a CPU fan, I thought you used thermal paste which sounds a lot like glue, so can I detach the stock fan and add my own if i want to overclock easily?

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Check out loads of videos online, also if it's your first time idk why but i'd say don't rub it all over and let gravity spread the paste for you.You can always clean it off and try again if you're temps are bad. So yes you can take the cooler off and yes it is pretty easy to detatch, but you'll need to buy separate thermal paste and clear off the old thermal compound.

Edit: just thought i'd throw this in, thermal paste is designed to fill the gaps between the heatsink and processor as it isn't a perfect smooth surface (am i right?) so again you don't need much.