Nvidia Reveals Its Updated Mobile Roadmap

Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
The question really becomes, what optimizations are they doing to Kepler to make the Logan mobile GPU platorm. Lower power is nice, but what will these mobile GPUs be capable off. As the chart shows, we won't see a Maxwell based mobile GPU till 2015, so how much more can they push Kepler for Logan?

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
So what we can take from this roadmap is that we won't be seeing anything new in desktop GPUs until early 2015. I like it because people won't have to upgrade so fast. And this also means that the step from Kepler to Maxwell will be huge and I hope they don't disappoint us with a mere 10% increase in performance.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Lets see how those projections look beyond 2013 considering that the entire console market has been engulfed by AMD and there is more competition entering into the mobile markets.

Last week there is news here at toms about "mobile kepler" running bf3 and nvidia compares those visual to some sbooting games from ipad4 (i believe the fps game they run on the ipad was modern combat 4 from gameloft though i have no way to confirm this). Some speculate it was kepler laptop and some others says it must be someting based on nvidia tegra since they were comparing it to apple ipad. It has been confirm thebf3 footage that being demoed to the public was run on kayla platform.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2013/04/quantum-leap-what-kepler-can-do-for-next-generation-tablets/

I don't think so. Especially amd i dont think they want to keep 7970 as their main flagship until 2015. In performance perspective there might be no reason to come out with much faster gpu because the performance are quite excessive even for now but it doesn't mean the competition will hold back.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Both companies will release new cards by Q1 2014 (AMD may squeak in to 2013, but barely). Maxwell is 2015 for MOBILE, 2014 for desktop. The cart at the top isn't talking desktops it's all about Tegra. Unfortunately I probably can't wait until Q1 2014 for my next gpu, but I will valiantly try..LOL. We should get some nice boosts at 20nm chips so I have high hopes for both refreshes this year/next (from amd/nvidia respectively). I'm wondering though if these will by hybrid 20nm though or full 20nm (or some other nm...LOL). I can't really find anything totally specific about this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.