Best way to remove Thermal paste

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Well i'm wanting to post my system with the reference heatsink that comes with my i5 3570k (because i was told not to use my after market one, I don't know why). I was wondering if i should just go ahead and use the aftermarket to post or the one that come with my CPU, and if the stock, what is the best way to remove the thermal paste. I have heard coffee filter, Q-tips (but wont that leave fibers), and a lint free cloth (would a case for my glasses work, i also doubles as the cloth to clean them). Are there any better product that clean a little better. And i will be using isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks.

Solution
I dampened a lint-free rag with either rubbing alcohol or Windex. Just enough to dampen the rag, then rub the compound off with it. If needed, when the compound has been removed, use a dry part of the cloth to dry off the chip, but alcohol evaporates very quickly, and we're talking a dampened rag here, not dousing it in liquid.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
I dampened a lint-free rag with either rubbing alcohol or Windex. Just enough to dampen the rag, then rub the compound off with it. If needed, when the compound has been removed, use a dry part of the cloth to dry off the chip, but alcohol evaporates very quickly, and we're talking a dampened rag here, not dousing it in liquid.

Solution

helz IT

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Rubbing alcohol and coffee filters work well for me. Alcohol is good for cleaning around electronics because it evaporates and leaves no/very little residue. Get the higher concentration (97%) if you have an option. This will clean it completely, so I don't see a point in buying a more expensive solution.

sanilmahambre

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
They are softer so they do not scratch your processor. its an idle thing for this job and performs equally well without causing trouble.
I use it to clean my processors and i have no complains.
They have a very good cleansing property.

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Great and thank you all for your very fast responses

i use the cheap way out:

rubbing alcohol, q-tips and a paper towel.

works great and i have never had issues with fibers or other such trivial things.

aftermarket thermal paste such as artic silver 5 is designed to fill any voids or scratches anyways.