replacing cpu hp pavilion dv6 2010sa

ihog

Distinguished
Remove heatsink, remove CPU, clean heatsink with isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free rag/cloth/etc., drop new CPU in, apply thermal paste, reseat heatsink.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't check before I posted to see if it was a laptop.

Found something that might help: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-pavilion-dv6-laptop/

ardtiarna

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Thanks.

I suspect that the CPU on the laptop might be broken. If I took it in to a repair shop would they be able to confirm that for me and how expensive should it be to get it replaced?

ihog

Distinguished
If you're lucky, they'll have a compatible processor off hand (chances are they won't), but if not, they'd have to order one, which you'd have to pay for, so if it doesn't fix your problem, you're boned.

Why do you suspect that the processor is broken?

ardtiarna

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
The problem is that when I power up the laptop the hard disk and fan power up but the screen stays black. Also the caps lock and number lock lights start flashing. I've tried holding down the power button for a minute, resetting the ram moduals and replacing the CMOS battery and none of it has worked so as far as I know that means the problem lies with the CPU. Am I right in my reasoning or could there be something else wrong with it that I haven't tried yet?