why do you wanna OC you're cpu?

oli oli

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
why do you wanna overclock you're cpu,
and how can you overclock save and stable.
what is the practical use of overclocking?
and why so much fuss about it.

i'm new to computering and stuff...
I asked my brother and he told me to shut-up.
so I still don't know.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
well, where to start. your brothers comment i guess. it is a pretty good answer ;)

really though, the reason people over clock may vary. generally to get better performance from your computer. some just because they like tinkering on them. i would equate it to working on a car. you get better parts to obtain better performance.

with overclocking safe and stable are the ideal goals. really though, it is at your own risk. so tred lightly. steps to include are read, a lot! then read some more. taking small steps, trial and error, and reading are the only way you will achieve a safe and stable over clock.

the practical uses included, anything you do on your computer. overclocking helps get it done faster. the loading, response, and running of games, apps, and what ever it is you use your computer for, generally increase.

why so much fuss?? its all the rage bro! again, the people "fussing" about it are people that like to tinker, or want better performance from the computer. generally the performance. games for instance, you yeild a greater frame rate(fps) with increased performance. so when your shooting zombies, or hugging ponies there isnt any lag or general skipping. hate the long load times? well getting more, better, or increasing the speed of your memory can shorten the loading times.

these may not be the best answers. i hope it is a start for you. god speed...

...and of course post back with any other questions!

oli oli

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
hahaha.
now i know what and why...
it helps a lot.
I just got a new computer.
i have a (forgive me for saying it) a macbook pro.
but i could not game for poop on it...
so I asked my brother if he could build me a pc.
and he did. a wonderful job, i had some presence's for example, i wanted watercooling. cause it's bad ass and, it's looks cool.
and a bad ass case. and a pc witch looks cool from the inside and outside and performs like a biatch.
and asked me what my buget was.
1300,- euro... so he build me an awesome pc.
mb: sabertooth R2.0 -cpu: AMD 8150 3600 mhz. -gpu: sapphire 7870xt -DRAM: GEIL 2x 8gb of ramm 1600mhz -psu: club 3d 1100w (for future sli/crosfire) -cooling: corsair H80I -hdd and the case witch is the earocool xpreditor.
not even one week later the thing broke because i was tranfering file's from my old external hdd to my normal hdd. and there were some "bad" files in witch deleted some of my drivers and stuff...
so my pc broke. he reinstalled my pc again and worked perfect again.
now i don't know what i did but I can't play any games anymore...
so my brother says reinstall it again and never touch it again.
so I don't think overclocking is a good idea for me.

Another thread that's asking the exact same question, got a lot of good answers.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1658404/understand-overclocking-gpu-cpu-3770k.html

If your brother built the rig for you, then you dont know how a computer worksao you shouldn't be the one to overclock it. If you can get him to do it, he might give you a small bump in clockspeed. But until you know what your doing, dont try to get into more advanced stuff like overclocking.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
What my answer wasnt good enough ;)

the only thing i would disagree with is telling him to not try. yes he dosnt understand (now) but with some education im sure he could learn and understand, something new about computers....or yeah just have your brother do it!