Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard incompatible with Power Supply? Is this possible?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 22, 2013 3:43:43 PM

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here so please forgive if I’m a little long winded, I don’t know how much detail is truly needed so I’m just going to give all the detail I can so here it goes:

This is a client build first off, and is rather high budget and I’m running into an issue whereas the mother board and PSU don’t seem to “work” together. The 24-pin motherboard connector goes into the port on the MOBO but it won’t fully click in, it leaves about a 1/2millimeter of space (which being in electrical engineering I know the current should still be able to arc and give power. But whenever I turn everything on and it’s fully wired up and I push the reset button (the reset button is wired to the power button MOBO connector from the case… go figure a factory issue…) Here are all the components:

AMD Black Edition 8-core CPU
ASRock 990fx Extreme 3 MOBO
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4gb GPU
Corsair Vengance 32gb
WD HDD 4TB
Samsung 830 series SSD 120gb
Thermaltake TR-2 RX 850W PSU
Corsair H100i Water Cooler
LG Multi-Disk
2 9-LED LED strips (Red)
NZXT Phantom 410

I tested the power supply and it is giving off power. The only other bit of info you might need is something that has been bother me as well. There are two wires that come directly out of the PSU, a 24-pin that goes to the MOBO and an 8-pin that has a tag on it saying “PCIe” but my PCIe GPU has dual 6-pin peripheral cables that plug into the 6-pin four outlet Peripheral Power Supply cable. The MOBO has an 8pin up by the CPU and there is a wire that came with the PSU labled; “to PSU” and “to MOBO” but does that red tipped “PCIe” cable NEED to be hooked up?
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2013 5:47:37 PM

There should be a 24 pin plug that is needed to power up the motherboard, and a second 8 pin plug that is used to power the CPU. This is reference (standard) design of motherboards.

You need both plugged in for the mobo to work.

April 23, 2013 9:16:04 PM

chesteracorgi said:
There should be a 24 pin plug that is needed to power up the motherboard, and a second 8 pin plug that is used to power the CPU. This is reference (standard) design of motherboards.

The 2 cables coming DIRECTLY out of the power supply are the 24-pin MOBO cable and a 8pin that is labled PCIe which doesn't fit in the CPU power socket. There is another modular cable that is with the powersupply that is labled "To Motherboard" and "To PSU", which fits perfectly with the CPU power socket. There is no place on this MOBO for the one labled PCIe, my GPU is 12-pin. (2 6pin cables_
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2013 5:01:51 AM

OK, looking at Thermaltake's website: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_..., what you want to find is the EPS 8 pin connector.

On the motherboard there is an 8 pin connector near the CPU socket. The cabling/socket are idiot proofed to prevent the wrong orientation. Plug the EPS connector into the 8 pin socket, and you should be good.

If you don't have a EPS cable, then RMA the PSU and get one that provides an 8 pin cable.
June 18, 2013 4:55:10 PM

NotSchitzo said:
chesteracorgi said:

The 2 cables coming DIRECTLY out of the power supply are the 24-pin MOBO cable and a 8pin that is labled PCIe which doesn't fit in the CPU power socket. There is another modular cable that is with the powersupply that is labled "To Motherboard" and "To PSU", which fits perfectly with the CPU power socket. There is no place on this MOBO for the one labled PCIe, my GPU is 12-pin. (2 6pin cables_

Is it an 8 pin PCI-e plug?, it's suppose to supply power to the graphics card in the PCI-e slot, does it have two lose pins not connected to the 6 (8/6 pin for different GPU power needs)? And is there a seperate power supply unit for the graphics card ?
a c 973 V Motherboard
June 18, 2013 4:58:52 PM

Connector Type Connectors & Cable length
24pin 1 x 24pin Main connector(550mm) (Native Cable) Power Motherboard
PCI-E 6+2pin 1 x 6+2 pin PCI-E connector (550mm) (Native Cable)
PCI-E 6pin 1 x 6pin PCI-Econnectors (500mm) (Native Cable)
EPS 12V 8 pin + ATX 12V 4 pin 1 x EPS 12V 8 pin + ATX 12V 4pin connector (550mm + 150 mm) (Native Cable) Power Motherboard
PCI-E + 2 pin 1 x 6 +2 pin PCI-E connector (500mm)
PCI-E 6pin 1 x 6+2 pin PCI-E connector (500mm)
Molex & FDD 3 x Peripheral & 1 x FDD connectors (500mm + 150mm + 150mm + 150mm )
4 x connectors (500mm + 150mm + 150mm + 150mm)
SATA 4 x S-ATA connectors (500mm + 150mm + 150mm + 150mm)
3 x S-ATA connectors (500mm + 150mm + 150mm)
!