Homemade USB fan trouble

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Hello,

Before I describe the problem, here is what I am trying to do.

My desktop tower has 2 120mm fan mounts and I already have those 2 occupied by fans. There is also a 80mm fan mount on the side panel however my motherboard only has 2 sysfan headers and 1 cpufan header, so I was thinking I could re-purpose a laptop cooler.

It had 3 80mm 5v fans attached to 1 USB. I snipped one of the fans off and and took an old dead mouse and cut it's cable off. I stripped back the insulation and twisted together the cables. The mouse USB had an orange and blue, which I'm assuming was red and black respectively. I twisted red to orange and black to blue.

I then plugged the USB into my computer and the fan did not turn on. I checked the fan before cutting it off and it worked fine. The mouse, it's left click no longer worked but it still received power and worked fine. I'm also positive that I have a 5v fan, It's model number is DF0801005RFHN. It's a coolermaster fan.

sh*. Not sure if I just messed something up, but I just now unplugged the fan from the USB after it being plugged in for about 10 minutes. Where the motor is housed was very hot, not scorching hot but definitely uncomfortable. Gives off a bit of a smell but not "burnt motor" smell and I can't smell it unless it's in my face.

I've done something wrong, not sure what it is. Do I need a resistor or something? The voltage going to the fan should be 5v .5amp.

I do have bare wires but red is not touching black, I made sure of that.

I do not mind if I can't get this to work. I value my desktop more than my laptop, and I use my desktop 99% of the time now. Also summer is right around the corner and I do a lot of gaming so any extra air flow I can get would help.

I could take the simple way out and snip off the 2nd fan on the laptop cooler and just the last remaining one with the original USB cord. OH, that USB cord that powered the 3 fans, also has a fan controller on it. Allows for low power or high power moder or anywhere inbetween.

So yeah, like I said, I've no idea what's wrong.
Also here's some photos in case you're interested.
http://imgur.com/a/2uNbS

Thanks in advance for all the help.

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I've fixed the problem.

I'm not sure what was wrong. but there was certainly something bad with the USB cable I was using.

I switched to a new USB cable but the fan didn't work, so I tried a new fan and that worked fine. Guess I burnt out my fan.