First Gaming PC Build ($1200 price range)

Mezdec

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Let me preface this by saying this would be my first attemp at building my own computer so any guides or how to's that you guys have would be wonderful as well. I feel as though this is something I can handle and will be researching, but the opinions and thoughts of all of you will be wonderful.

Secondly, I plan on building this over the next half year or so. A piece here and there as I can afford it. (Married and have 3 girls, so a new toy like this for me isn't very high on priorities.) So, that being said, a plan of attack as far as order I should get hardware etc. would be great as well.

I will be using this mostly for gaming. Right now I'm using a stock Best Buy special...lol the HP p7-1254. I plan on being active in Elder Scrolls Online and some upcoming games.

By building this myself, I'd like to keep in mind future upgradeability as well. Price is definately important though. While I don't need "THE BEST", I'd like this to be a system I could be proud of for quite a while. The price point isn't set in stone, as I plan on building it over time. If I can come in under 1200 and have a pretty awesome system, of course I would be ecstatic. Cheaper I can build it, sooner I can use it :) ! Thanks in advance...

Approximate Purchase Date: Will begin getting parts ASAP using suggestions from the community as far as order of priorities

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) $1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly gaming, though video etc

Parts Not Required: not too worried in the peripherals at this time, mostly just need the nuts n bolts of the system

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: As this is my first system, if there is any particular brand that seems to be easier over the other

Overclocking: Probablly

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future but as it doesn't seem to increase gaming...i wouldn't say this is a necessity

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, )

Additional Comments: As my first project and hopefully a future hobby of mine, I'm wanting this experience to be a fun undertaking. Any advice, thoughts, suggestions, and references is greatly appreciated. Thank you to anyone that gives your time to reply to this post.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Intel Core i5-3570K + ASRock Z77 Extreme4 bundle from Newegg is $295. Shaves $60 from the total below.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($337.20 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1234.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Mezdec

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Thanks for the timely response slomo4sho.... I'm seeing the SSD isn't of huge importance to get necessarily right away as the gains from it seem to be minimal. With as quickly as technology is coming out, do you recommend acquiring pieces in a certain order? Waiting to get say the video card til last as that'd be probablly 6 months from now and changes in prices may have dropped. I'll prob spend 50-100 bucks a week until the project is done so prioritizing components and allow for any new tech to hit shelves further saving me a few bucks is great as well.

JJ1217

Honorable
Building over anything more than two weeks is not recommended as you could get a faulty part and not even know it. Plus you want future upgradeability -- remember new stuff can come out as you are saving to buy old things. I wouldn't recommend buying a system over half a year. Buy it all at once is basically what I'm saying.

Mezdec

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Appreciate the opinion JJ1217. I will see what I can do in this department. So do you agree with slomo's build? Does that look like the best bang for my buck? Any other suggestions or parts you'd rather use then the other?