Sign in with
Your question

Trying to open a Dell for a client, cannot figure out what's stopping me from doing so.

Last response: in Components
April 23, 2013 6:51:12 PM

Apologies if this isn't the right section.

I've got a Dell Vostro 200. The client wants me to take the drive out of it to back up his photos and music.

That's not a problem, but it's like there's a lock or something on the panel that's stopping me from getting into it. It's like two connecting pieces, with some of it poking out of holes in the back of the case.

It's pretty tough to open, and I thought I'd ask before doing anything that may damage the hardware.
April 23, 2013 7:19:37 PM

Off the top of my head, many Dell cases have sliding panels at the back on the top through which a lock can be inserted. If you slide the top one back so that the holes don't line up, the case will open.

Is this what you're referring to?
April 23, 2013 11:27:41 PM

TortoiseWrath said:
Off the top of my head, many Dell cases have sliding panels at the back on the top through which a lock can be inserted. If you slide the top one back so that the holes don't line up, the case will open.

Is this what you're referring to?

I think so. There are two things that come out of the top where the cases slides off, it leads down onto what almost looks like a bar of sorts that I can push up slightly.
April 24, 2013 6:43:28 AM

Ah, never mind. It was another case of me just over thinking it, lol. Just turns out that the case was on pretty tight, nothing else.
!