Where to attach an anti-static wrist strap?

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Well i'm just about to begin building my machine and i'm so crazy exited that i almost forgot about safety precautions, well my main an only question is where the heck do you attach a anti-static wrist strap. I will be working in my kitchen, it has hardwood flooring (so no carpet issues), granite counters (i don't know if that is good to work on)?, i could move it to my wood table if that is better. So where would be an ideal spot for attaching this sucker, mabye on my toaster? or a mixing bowl? i just don't know, so i'm asking you what sort of thing in a regular kitchen can you attach a anti-static wrist strap to

All opinions are accepted, please share ALL you have to say:)

And Thank you

Joe Bosso

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Install PSU in case, switch PSU off and plug it into grounded electrical outlet, attach strap to screw holding PSU to case

I assume that you live in the United States. A grounded outlet is any 3 pong outlet. Remember it doesn't count if you use any adapters. if you go through a surge protector, the surge protector must have a 3 pong connector and be plugged into a 3 pong outlet.

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Yup i live in the US. So i can plug my new surge protector right into any outlet in my house (that is 3 pronged) then hang it over the counter, attach my wrist strap with a gator clip, into the center area of the outlet and that will work. And is that the best way?

thanks for your quick reply's :)

if you touch your range or fridge you will discharge any static in your body. you don't need a wrist strap. if you're anal about it, from wrist to dishwasher knob or handle. stay away from outlets. don't work in socks, wear shoes.

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

could i be bare foot on hard wood, then connect the wrist strap to my case. And does my case have to have the power supply plugged into a wall outlet?

the power supply is the last thing to go in. kinda stupid to suggest otherwise from my perspective.
where some shoes when you put it together. from the description of your surroundings it didn't sound like you were a hillbilly.
read booklet. read booklet again. read booklet again.
you don't need a wrist strap. chances of a static discharge are actually remote, although there are some wrappings ( usually in case boxes ) that do hold a charge. touching metal somewhere will discharge that if you're nervous......... or you can wear a strap.
assemble on a anti-static sheet ( motherboard comes wrapped in one ).
first thing you want to do is check where to put mobo standoffs and install and put the IO panel on. install dvd and HD. install procesor/ram and heat sink and then put mobo in case and screw down.
take your time. read booklet. read booklet again. read booklet again. familiarize yourself with the front panel wires there orientation and where they go.
install power supply. familiarize yourself with where what wires go. take your time. read booklet. read booklet. read booklet to familiarize yourself with proper procedures.

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

So what your saying it to read the booklet:). But i had one last question "if" i wear that anti-static strap should i connect it to my case, an if so does the psu need to be in there?

Some wrist straps allow you to plug directly into the outlet. I was always afraid to do that. Do what Bosso said. Install the power supply first, Make sure the main power switch is off on the unit, plug it into the surge outlet, then attach the gator clip to the metal case of the PSU. You can usually get it in the vents that face the outside of the PC. Once that is done you can go about installing the more sensitive parts.

IF you going to attach directly to the ground of the surge protector, make sure you can pull the gator clip off of the wrist strap. you'll be left with a prong that will fit better. Make sure you stick it into the ground. If your wrist strap doesn't have a plug I would do as I mentioned above.

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

i just got all my stuff yesterday and build it, took a while, but i really didn't use the wrist strap all i did (like you said) was keep touching my plugged in power supply.

Thanks you for all your help