Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading graphics card caused higher PSU fan speed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2013 12:48:27 AM

I upgraded from a MSI 7850 to a Sapphire 7950 OC boost, everything seems to be running ok apart from a noticeable increase in the noise of one of my fans. I've checked the CPU, case and GPU fans and they are all running around 2000-3000 rpm under load and then dropping to 1000-2000 rpm after I quit playing a game, but I can still hear a really noisy fan afterwards.

The fan in question does get quieter after a little while but I am just wondering if the extra power drawn by the updated card is stressing the PSU, and if there is any way I check this. My rig is a small ITX based system, but temps are ok for now, CPU/GPU is 30-40c at idle and no more than 60c under heavy load.

These are my components, I have read that the motherboard is known to have some issues with high power draw.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 ITX
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230V2
RAM: Corsair Vengence CML8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 1600MHz LP 2x4GB
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX H77
SSD: Intel 335 180GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB
GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 3GB with Boost
PSU: Antec HCG-520M
Optical Drive: LG DVD/RW

Any help or advise is much appreciated.
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 24, 2013 1:16:50 AM

I fully agree with your assessment. I believe you are stressing the PSU. A quick search reveals that the PSU in question does indeed get very noisy under load.

Quote:
As expected after examining the thermal performance of the HCG-520M, the noise levels of the unit are low as long as the unit is below 50% load, beyond which point they will continuously rise as the fan will be trying to cope with the increasing cooling demand. The result is a unit which is quiet while nominally loaded but quite noisy as long as it remains under stress.

Source: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2017/7/

I would recommend a PSU upgrade at some point in the near future.

As far as testing it well short of connecting voltage testing equipment you could take the extra noise and the fact that the review highlights this as a symptom of stressing the PSU as proof enough.

Mactronix :) 
April 24, 2013 1:49:29 AM

Thanks for the reply, I am dreading taking the system apart and putting it all back together again. But I guess one of the benefits of having a modular PSU is that I can take the cables out and just plug them into a new modular unit.

Any recommendations for a good low noise replacement? Something which can handle all those parts and the extra stress of a ITX case.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 24, 2013 2:08:37 AM

Plenty of people will have different opinions on which brand exactly, however everyone who knows what they are talking about will recommend a top tier branded PSU.
Personally I would recommend Corsair first, but any from Corsair, Seasonic, FSP and PCP&C. Seasonic make the insides for Corsair anyway.
I always like to over spec a PSU slightly. A Good quality 650 would probably be ok but I would recommend a 750.

April 24, 2013 2:17:52 AM

Thanks a lot, I'll give you the best answer once I see the stupid link on the page. I hate this new re-design.
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 24, 2013 2:35:31 AM

Yes it will take a little getting used to. There is a link to a how to if you go to the forums section http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1623169/introduc...

You can ask questions there about specific issues as well.

The Pick as the solution box is now the best answer selection.

April 25, 2013 6:16:17 PM

I am really sorry, I seem to have set this up as a discussion and not a question so I can't select a best answer.
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 26, 2013 3:07:39 AM

Don't worry about it.
I come here to help people, others have helped me in the past and I like to give a bit back.
Some people seem hung up on Best answers and badges, Not me.

!