$300 SSD Storage and CPU Cooler upgrade

DarthCaddy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Built this system on 4/6/13

CPU - Intel 3770K @ a stock 3.5 Ghz w/ stock cooler
Mobo - EVGA Z77 FTW LGA 1155
RAM - Corsair 16 GB RAM (2x8) pretty fancy looking sticks with heat dissipating fins, need to check exact model.
SSD - Intel 520 series 120 GB
HDD - WD Black 1T
GPU - EVGA GTX 660ti 2 GB @ stock clocks
PSU - 1000W Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold
Case - CM HAF 932 Adv.
Displayed on - Win 7 OEM version. LG 20" Flatron E2041 1600 x 900 and occasionally a Spectre 40" 1080p TV. I also installed a Creative Audio X-Fi that I was never able to fit in my 'old' gaming PC.

Budget: For new I need this now it parts... CPU Cooler, 256GB SSD $300 flexible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING!, movies (whatever is left for me to legally stream/DL in HD... looking at you Amazon Q_Q) and internet use.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No: That depends on whether you guys can convince me =). I keep reading good reviews by owners of the ASUS VG248QE. I would like to put my shiny new parts to their full potential, game on and watch full native HD.

Parts to Upgrade: I need to install a higher capacity SSD and CPU cooler. I couldn't believe how fast I maxed out the 120 gigs. I have Win7 and 3 games installed along with my internet browser and other basic programs Adobe, CPU/GPU tuners/drivers. I have no music or video on this computer yet. I still need to move it over from my 'old' rig. While I have my case open I would also like to know if I need to upgrade my GPU as a result of adding the ASUS.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter

Parts Preferences: Intel / Nvidia

Overclocking: Yes. I played around with OCing my CPU with an old P4 system I had. Overall an enjoyable experience for me. I already had a Win7 Intel Quadcore Q6700 2.66Ghz system with an EVGA GTX 260/216 and 6 GB no frills RAM as my main PC. So I said why not? Though I never got too crazy with OCing, Im not afraid to tinker. From what I've read its very simple to OC this 3770K CPU to 4.0Ghz without worrying about BSOD or heat problems.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes. As it stands the current games I'm playing SC2 HotS (what I spend 60% of my game time playing), BF3, Crysis Warhead and Far Cry 3 (still in the wrapper) on Ultra/High settings on my current monitor. I would love to run them ALL at Ultra settings, but hey all 3 games I'm playing right now look awesome as it is. If/when I get the ASUS VG248QE would the 660ti still be able to display at my current Ultra/High settings? In the event that my single 660ti cant display at playable frame-rates to my ASUS monitor I would love to try out SLI for the first time with another 660ti.

Your Monitor Resolution: Native on my LG monitor is 1600x900

Additional Comments: I'm not concerned about the 'look' of my rig. I like to keep my cables all neatly tucked away, but that's for air flow. The lights that came with the case and the LED's on the mobo are enough for me. I like to stay with similar or like brands, but this is not a deal breaker as long as it's reputable brand. Other than that just need somewhere to hang up my GameCom 780 Headset.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
I filled up my new intel 520 series 120GB SSD. I don't think its a good idea to install games to my other drive, a WD 1TB black. The one time I tried to install a file to any location besides C: I ran into issues.

I've yet to move ~100 gigs of music, movies/TV to my WD black from my other PC. The WD is basically empty right now, this drive will be used to dump all my media into. This is my first time dealing with more than 1 drive, but I don't see why I couldn't access my media and have it play with win media player that's installed on C:. IIRC the box on my intel 120 GB said that copying over an existing OS to it was very easy to do. I plan on migrating my data from this 120 gig drive to a new 256SSD. I would then see if I could get the 120 SSD working in my 'old' rig or maybe find use for it in my current set up, not sure about that yet.

Thanks for listening and all advice/opinions provided!

DarthCaddy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
No, no I'm only in need of a SSD and a cooler. I'm buying a monitor (in the very, very near future) and have $300 left to spend.

DarthCaddy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Do you use that monitor that you suggested in the parts list? And if I may ask what games do you play on it?

I have one of it during a sale one Newegg for $119.99 but you missed it. I also have two of the 24" ones (different model) but that's a tad more expensive. I'm not a huge computer gamer. I like consoles more. I just like the better grip of the remote vs a keyboard and mouse. Currently, I occasionally play Dead Space 3 and Antichamber on my PC.