How do you reformat a Windows 8 machine without the product key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordgt_13

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I have just bought a Windows 8 desktop but like the past operating systems it had they product keys stuck on the desktop, well Windows 8 desktops there isn't a label so how do you reformat your OS?
Also where would you get the software from do you have to buy it or just download it? There are many things new for Windows 8 and i'm not sure on what to do? I am just being careful and prepared for the future in case i have a faulty HDD/Virus/OS bug. Some HP machines you can backup the software but what if you want to do a fresh install PS i don't have a HP Desktop.

Can anyone help please?!?!?!?

Solution

I've since learned that link will only work for the Retail version of Windows, you will have OEM. There are no official download options for OEM. Best advice would be to create a Recovery Disk to pre-empt the situation. You'll need a USB drive of at least 256mb, more to use the option to copy your Recovery Partition. The Recovery Partition can be utilised any time to restore Windows to Factory settings, but all data will be lost. A further option is available to Refresh your PC which retains data but wipes software installed post Windows Install.
To create a Recovery Disk simply have the disk to hand and at the Start Screen type 'Create Recovery' and choose the option from...
Your Product key is probably embedded in your BIOS and in theory a re-install should find it and activate. Meanwhile, try Belarc Advisor to find your key, save it somewhere safe in case you need it in future.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
As for installation media, I'm still not aware of any legal downloads for OEM Win 8, but I have a link for downloading the Upgrade version, which will require a product key to enable the download. Out of curiosity, when you get your key, try the download link and see if you can download the ISO successfully...
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204
Let us know the result...

I've since learned that link will only work for the Retail version of Windows, you will have OEM. There are no official download options for OEM. Best advice would be to create a Recovery Disk to pre-empt the situation. You'll need a USB drive of at least 256mb, more to use the option to copy your Recovery Partition. The Recovery Partition can be utilised any time to restore Windows to Factory settings, but all data will be lost. A further option is available to Refresh your PC which retains data but wipes software installed post Windows Install.
To create a Recovery Disk simply have the disk to hand and at the Start Screen type 'Create Recovery' and choose the option from Settings.
Similarly, to Refresh your PC type 'Refresh' at the Start screen and look in Settings. (I assume this option will utilise your Recovery Partition, if one is not available it requires an installation disk)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.