Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Report: Intel Haswell CPU Pricing Possibly Leaked

Last response: in News comments
April 24, 2013 7:07:28 AM

Are they really going to be that cheap? I wish I could believe this.
Score
April 24, 2013 7:07:38 AM

Score
Related resources
April 24, 2013 7:19:06 AM

brandonjclark said:

Prices are in line with Ivy Bridge, and seeing how the relative improvements in performance are significantly smaller than 5-6 years ago, I think this is pretty expensive.
Score
April 24, 2013 7:20:11 AM

That's dirt cheap for Intel! If this is true i better get these for $50 through intelretailedge :) 
Score
April 24, 2013 7:49:54 AM

Considering how much more expensive Intel tends to be relative to AMD, I'd say one of three things are happening here;
A. Intel is conceding smaller margins because the step up in performance is not as significant.
B. Intel is trying to put pressure on AMD by pricing much closer to them.
C. These leaked prices are false.
Score
April 24, 2013 8:04:44 AM

Cheap? These prices are exactly in line with Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge before them.
3 years with no significant change in performance per dollar. That is truly disappointing.
Score
April 24, 2013 8:11:05 AM

have some of you been living under a rock? these are the same prices that ivy bridge is selling for.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2013 8:44:38 AM

So the new processor anyone will ever need for gaming is the 4670K and the top is the 4770K.

At least they're consistent.

Microcenter will probably sell the 4470K for $279.99 and the 4670K for $189.99.
Score
April 24, 2013 8:56:03 AM

I'm surprised that these don't cost more considering AMD's mediocre performance as of late. Here's to hoping for Steamroller and competition!
Score
April 24, 2013 9:03:45 AM

What's the point? Until they figure out a way to bust through 4, 5 , 6 GHz stock there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. No (decently made) game is CPU bottlenecked and the pipelines of the Ivy bridge aren't even close to being fully utilized.
Score
April 24, 2013 9:04:02 AM

What's the point? Until they figure out a way to bust through 4, 5 , 6 GHz stock there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. No (decently made) game is CPU bottlenecked and the pipelines of the Ivy bridge aren't even close to being fully utilized.
Score
a c 191 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 9:27:05 AM

DRosencraft said:
Considering how much more expensive Intel tends to be relative to AMD, I'd say one of three things are happening here;
A. Intel is conceding smaller margins because the step up in performance is not as significant.
B. Intel is trying to put pressure on AMD by pricing much closer to them.
C. These leaked prices are false.

Correct Answer: C

Intel has been talking about an across the board +$30 price increase for Haswell. Those prices are basically where the IB chips are being sold today. Can't see it. They raised their prices $15 across the board for IB... i can't see them sticking to the same prices for Haswell
Score
April 24, 2013 9:30:30 AM

Either way I am happy for this news. I am waiting for Haswell to come out to replace my AMD Phenom II build that is really getting long in the tooth. If I can get new Haswell and Z87 parts for around the same price as IB and Z77 parts then thats good for me.
Score
April 24, 2013 9:46:18 AM

As someone who has a Core 2 Quad, I could definitely see myself spending the money to upgrade. Most of you commenting probably already have newer processors than I do, so upgrading for you might not make sense, but for me it does!
Score
a c 191 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 9:51:30 AM

borisof007 said:
As someone who has a Core 2 Quad, I could definitely see myself spending the money to upgrade. Most of you commenting probably already have newer processors than I do, so upgrading for you might not make sense, but for me it does!

i've got a PhII x4 965... unless the haswell is a nice jump in performance i think i'll skip upgrading again. right now this chip is basically indistinguishable outside of benchmarks from an i5-3570k... until i see a chip that is noticeably better i'll stick with this warhorse.
Score
April 24, 2013 9:59:44 AM

I'm not sure why everyone in here is thinking Intel is doing any of this to battle AMD. They are not. Intel is trying to get the performance per watt to a point that they can compete with ARM.

That's why you see the same clock speeds for 4 years now (3.5 GHz at the high end). While wattage has dropped more then 50% (not TDP, actual wattage).

Intel is probably one gen away from hitting the point that watt for watt they can complete with ARM, so I would expect to see this same line up for Broadwell as well.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2013 10:04:06 AM

1,200 MHz memory thats interesting that a cpu has memory...
Score
April 24, 2013 10:07:08 AM

Now the real question for me is, how much will microcenter sell them for?
Score
April 24, 2013 10:56:48 AM

So we need an new mobo and a new chip for an upgrade that feels more like a side-grade?

I can't see anyone getting their monies worth if they have SB/IB. I am starting to think that the i5 2500k was a peak in terms of bang for you buck.

IMO, this (insane cost to upgrade for little reason to) is yet another reason why PC sells are slowing.
Score
April 24, 2013 11:00:03 AM

Once again, people flooding the comments section with claims of no improvement from Intel and a steady price, expecting them to cut prices and take a hit on profits despite a lack of compettition forcing them to do so.

Heck, ever since IVB all i've been reading is people claiming that the next i7 will be north of $350.

Today, a core i3 meets or beats my Core 2 Quad Q8400 in almost everything, despite my CPU being a $200 part (more, at launch).

borisof007 said:

Exactly, same here. Will probably get a 4770K, if finances work out.

jamesjones_det said:
I'm not sure why everyone in here is thinking Intel is doing any of this to battle AMD. They are not. Intel is trying to get the performance per watt to a point that they can compete with ARM.

That's why you see the same clock speeds for 4 years now (3.5 GHz at the high end). While wattage has dropped more then 50% (not TDP, actual wattage).

Intel is probably one gen away from hitting the point that watt for watt they can complete with ARM, so I would expect to see this same line up for Broadwell as well.

Again, +1. It's like half the Tom's community refuses to read most of the analysis articles...though AnandTech is usually more in-depth with Intel-related stuff.
Score
April 24, 2013 11:03:42 AM

These prices are neither expensive nor cheap. Though it is disappointing that the prices are remaining static compared to ivy bridge. In that sense they are expensive, in the tech world prices are supposed to go down over time but sandy ivy and haswell has remained flat on price.
Score
April 24, 2013 11:10:52 AM

I really wish to see Intel's 6 core cpu's come down. Please. FRICKEN PLEASE?
Score
April 24, 2013 11:22:24 AM

Really want to see benchmarks against 2011 socket CPUs
Score
a c 191 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 11:56:47 AM

thefiend1 said:
I really wish to see Intel's 6 core cpu's come down. Please. FRICKEN PLEASE?

when amd threatens intel again you'll see all sorts of innovation. till then... intel will pear down their desktop cpus to compete with ARM.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2013 12:48:48 PM

ingtar33 said:

when amd threatens intel again you'll see all sorts of innovation. till then... intel will pear down their desktop cpus to compete with ARM.

That's what I'm saying...
Score
April 24, 2013 1:20:45 PM

Who cares what the MSRP is. if your smart you go to places like Microcenter where they sell the 3770k for $229.99 and will most likely sell the 4770k for the same.
Score
April 24, 2013 1:40:03 PM

Remember to add in the cost of an entirely new motherboard...no socket backwards compatibility :-(
Score
April 24, 2013 2:15:10 PM

That's several bucks cheaper than Ivy Bridge parts.
Score
April 24, 2013 2:27:33 PM

spentshells said:
1,200 MHz memory thats interesting that a cpu has memory...

It's iGPU's 64 MB of interposed memory that will work at 1.2 GHz, while on the other hand L1, L2 and L3 cach are memory too.
Score
April 24, 2013 5:25:12 PM

vigliottec said:
Who cares what the MSRP is. if your smart you go to places like Microcenter where they sell the 3770k for $229.99 and will most likely sell the 4770k for the same.

Most people don't have access to a Microcenter location. When looking online at 3570k's and 3770k's they were only available with in-store pickup. Really sucks though...
Score
a c 95 à CPUs
April 24, 2013 10:14:20 PM

finally, the iGPU is al the same for each type. i5 owner shouldnt be jealous anymore :) 
Score
April 24, 2013 10:16:33 PM

Soma42 said:
I'm surprised that these don't cost more considering AMD's mediocre performance as of late. Here's to hoping for Steamroller and competition!

They have to compete with themselves, no one will buy these if they can buy last gen for $50+ less.
Score
April 25, 2013 5:05:11 AM

ingtar33 said:
borisof007 said:

i've got a PhII x4 965... unless the haswell is a nice jump in performance i think i'll skip upgrading again. right now this chip is basically indistinguishable outside of benchmarks from an i5-3570k... until i see a chip that is noticeably better i'll stick with this warhorse.

Nope. With my bro's 3570K at 4.2Ghz vs my PII 965BE at 3.8GHz, the former gets about a 10-15 fps boost in many new games with my 7870 XT.
Score
a c 136 à CPUs
April 25, 2013 8:46:41 AM

Novulux said:
They have to compete with themselves, no one will buy these if they can buy last gen for $50+ less.

Sooner or later, supplies dry up.

Once Intel starts switching fabs to new models and starts announcing final-order/final-production dates, retail prices for older models often bounce back up.
Score
a c 191 à CPUs
April 25, 2013 12:15:26 PM

cj_online said:
ingtar33 said:
borisof007 said:

Nope. With my bro's 3570K at 4.2Ghz vs my PII 965BE at 3.8GHz, the former gets about a 10-15 fps boost in many new games with my 7870 XT.

that's good to hear. but with my monitor i'll never see it. i'm already hitting the refresh rate on newest games and this is 3-5 year old tech.

I'm beginning to believe the only thing causing need for a better system is the monitor... because it certainly hasn't been the game software.
Score
!