HD 7850 PowerColor V2 & FX-4100 cpu Bottlenecking?

Tur0k

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Hello I see quite a bit on toms hardware and see a lot of questions with helpful answers. I on the other hand have not had any help so far from this website and others opinions from every where else. But the thing about opinions is that all the answers I have got seem to have contradicted one another to leave me believing it is both my gpu and cpu. I built this computer in a hurry I must say just so I could have a gaming computer to game with, and what I have fits well enough for me for now for current games still coming out. But that is the exact reason why I am here.

I play a lot of games, First person shooters mainly ranging from Brutal Doom to Rage and many others. The thing is, is that if you look up brutal doom it doesn't seem demanding at all even with the hi-res pack, but for me the hi-res pack hits my system hard to where it's not even playable. And Rage works well but it seems everytime I turn a corner it stops for a second and starts up again just to do it again 60 seconds later. I would hit 60 fps on the dot and once 59 or even 57 hit it would do that exact same thing. Same thing for Amnesia, everytime I bring out my lantern for the first time it stops for a second and starts right back up to being completely smooth.

It use to be to where it was like Rage but I seemed to have fixed it some how, in a way. And now I downloaded this new free to play game called Warframe which requires a 5850 to play and I see on youtube with 7850 game-plays with 50-80 fps and I don't even get 60 on the dot. But no one even uses a powercolor v2. I don't like the fact that my 2 generation higher gpu can't play such games well. I have checked my temps and none ever seem to go higher than 60c nor the load. It does it with Bioshock 1, Batman Arkham city, Bullet Storm, Dark Siders II, Counter Strike Global Offensive and basically any modern game even the light for Half Life 2 when I turn it on it becomes all buggy and fps drops. I have been told it's my gpu and not my cpu and told its my cpu and not my gpu. I do plan on building another computer in a year with just pure nvidia and intel but till then I have this one.

I have also updated everything from Sound card drivers to Graphics and my BIOS. gigabyte ga-970a-d3 rev 1.2. I have 8gb of ram and a 2tb harddrive. I think maybe if I completely wipe my computer and start over it might help but don't really feel like doing it unless I really really have to. Thank you..

swilczak

Distinguished
I have the exact same motherboard but with the fx 6100, and I've had problems with certain games. It turns out that there should be another BIOS update to fix the issue, but gigabyte did not put the effort into it, maybe because it's a cheap motherboard not really meant for gaming. It is not a bottleneck, but more of a problem with how the processor addresses micro code in certain games. I found a fix that works great for black ops 2. It increased my fps by like 450%, and it says it's for CEG games, but I'm not really sure what that means. It appears to be a fix that is for some games that are on steam, and for computers that do not have a BIOS update to fix the problem. This could fix your problem or there could be something else like it out there that you would need to search for. It's something that needs to be started manually ever time you turn the computer on, or before you start playing the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCU9zoNtjWU

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2514606